• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nanofluids hmm...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PachManP

So does anyone here know anything about nanofluids?

I was reading and article in Electronics Cooling and they seemed to be getting 8-10C drops in temps over water for a Al3O3 solution.

They also say in the article that there are comerially availible fluids, so I'm thinking this could be really cool (no pun intended). The only problem is that I suspect the fluids are wicked expensive.

I'll try to do a little research and post it, so if anyone knows anything about it let us know.

I remember reading a thread on copper in glycol-solution nanofluids over at procooling some time ago. Vaguely remember an article somewhere on colloidal silver used for cooling, too.

Anything you turn up would be welcome.

here is the link to that article if anyone wants to take a gander.

the nanophase company in the references of the article sells it but doesn't post a price...not supprising. :eek:

anybody wanna drop 'em a line asking how much it would cost to get some and "research the limits and performance of modern consumer microprocessers"?

I wonder if this'd be more appropriate in the extreme cooling section...whatever...

[edit: added last comment]

Last edited:
oh sounds yummy..any white papers on this solution..does it have a caustic property? i would recon you would have to get away from copper in your loop..or would it matter with no water in it? lots of questions to ask here..haveing a gander @ the link

FizzledFiend said:

Yup I also wonder if it would deposit ont the tubes. Who wants to be the crash test dummy? It did not look like they were doing much to optimize heat exchange other than changing the fluid though so who knows if there is really going to be any significant improvement. That would be considered a very very primitive water block and not nearly as good as normal home built system.

There is nothing inherently better about one particular water additive over another. Weather it is Al2O3 or ordinary salt, it will lower the freezing point of water. There is no freezing point data given so I cannot tell how cold you can get this stuff, but a colloidal suspension of nanoparticles is likely to get very thick at low temperatures and maybe have a higher freezing point. And, you still need a way to cool the liquid after the heat has been trasferred to it.

Running copper particles through a hose might create a magnetic field that could affect your hard drives.

Someone asked about price. They sell this by the ton so you might be able to get a small sample free if they thought you were researching other uses and might give them free publicity. Price varies according to purity but a kilogram of chromatography grade aluminum oxide is about $55

Back