• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System won't shut down while using RAID1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MoPMatrix

I build this sys for my sister about a month ago for photo editing

AMD64 2800+ 754
Chaintech ZNF3 nf250
Corsair DDR3200 512x2
2x Maxtor 160GB 7200rpm SATA
Enermax 350w psu
Win XP pro SP2

When I first built the sys it only had 1 SATA HDD running independent for about a month, and later my sis decided she wanted to spend the money on the 2nd drive to setup RAID1 for her photo backup

So last night I put the 2nd drive in, installed the raid/SATA drivers pre XP install, installed XP on the new RAID1 Array, installed nforce 5.10 drivers
Everything was good, I had all of her programs re-installed all her data copied back onto the system
But this whole time I had never accutly shut the system down,, only doing warm reboots
Then finally one time I tried to do a standard shut down, and at "Windows is shutting down" it just stops. You can move the mouse but ALT+CLT+DEL or anything else won't work.
It will sit there forever

If I disable raid in bios (which I did when I reset the CMOS one time) It will shut down normal (BTW disabling RAID in bios then going into windows with both drives connected totally fuxors the data on the 2nd drive)

So now I reformatted the system again and with RAID1 enabled the system will not shut down,, it will reboot fine,, but not shut down

Does anyone have any ideas here?
Is there any known issues with nforce raid drivers and XP SP2? I haven’t found anything on the net
I'm really stuck here and my sister is guna shoot me in the face if I don't get this back to her soon =)

just out of curiousity have you ran check disk ??

try booting into windows and make checkdisk run at next start up ..

hit reset button and see if it will bring up errors..

do you have latest drivers installed from website (instead of the ones on the abit disk )....

ya I've ran check disk, even defraged and reformated, the problem still remains

The RAID/SATA drivers that I used were from the chaintech CD, I wasnt able to get any recent ones because the chaintech site is just a bunch of problem links o their download page

does anyone else know where i could get them?
Do the raid drivers have to be from the MB manufacture or from chipset manuacture?
not sure if they have to be diff for every MB

btw the nforce drivers I'm using are up to date (5.10)

EDIT: BTW
In event log/system around the time stamp that I'm trying to shut the system down there are error logs from "Service Controler Manager" and "nvatabus" <--- thats the RAID/SATA driver from the chaintech CD that u install off a floppy before windows. Thats why I'm looking for an updated version. Seems to be the problem

Last edited:
Problem solved the RAID didn't like the Unified nForce Drivers from nvidia that I was useing (5.10)
It needed an older version suplied by chaintech, guess they customized em some that affected the raid :p ver 4.26 it liked
all is good now, no idea how i figured it out :p

thanks for the help

The newest nVidia drivers should work fine with that board, provided you don't install the IDE drivers. I experienced this exact same thing with my Abit NF7-S Basically, install the nvidia chipset drivers (from nvidia.com) but select the option not to install the IDE drivers, and you should be good to go.

even with the IDE drivers not installed, it was still the same with 5.10
because I read that somewhere else on the forum and tryed it, but it was a no go

Back