• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A good flowmeter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oswald

Registered
Hey, this time I'm looking for a decent flowmeter for 1/2 ID tubing. Anyone having any ideas? (what, where, for how much)?

I would really appreciate your help :D

nothing electronic, i just want something that will assure me the water is actually moving, because after i got rid of the air from the system i really can't say if it is or not... ;_) ofcourse the visual factor also matters.

well i admit it's also the bling factor that counts. that thing from watercooling.de would do fine, but the price+overseas shipping basically ruins the idea. I'll stick with my hand after all :)

oswald said:
well i admit it's also the bling factor that counts. that thing from watercooling.de would do fine, but the price+overseas shipping basically ruins the idea. I'll stick with my hand after all :)
look around, i know there are other sellers of that product stateside... i belive innovatek brands a version of that. check their resellers.

Blue White puts out a flowmeter for sub $20. The downside was that it caused up to a 2 psi reduction in flow. Doesnt sound like much but when it comes to watercooling without a Z series Iwaki it can really hurt performance.

Why waste the money and preformance? I mean it is HIGHLY unlikly that you don't have a hardware based tempature shutdown on your computer, so why spend the money and waste the preformance of watercooling when your motherboard can do the checking of waterflow for you?(if the water does not flow your CPU will over heat and your system will shut down, unless your lucky and your system can run pumpless)

If Your looking for bling put some fluid that will show currents in the water, and add some UV dye.....

PS: I disapprove of excess bling. My System's "Bling" will be simple water cooling ,a 6800U and a good paint job.
Note: NO window on my case, nor will there ever be one.

I cant say Ive never gone for bling. One of my recent projects was meant to show of watercooling but made around performance.

Anyways I dont think people should be bashed for wanting bling.

As for a flow sensor that wouldnt restrict flow the only thing I can think of is an electronic pressure sensor. First half of the loop has positive pressure and the second half has negative. Im sure there is a small kit like this:
http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/acc/flexiforce.pdf
thats made to sense water pressure. I dunno if that flexiforce is sensitive enough to measure atmospheric pressure or anything so it probably wouldnt work, just an example.
But say it could. make a fitting that goes before the inlet or outlet of the pump and seal the tip of the sensor inside (make a slit, slide it in, glue it up) and read the measurements accordingly. That could be used for a hardware and software shutdown and you could hook up an LED once you knew there was pressure...

Just an idea.

Back