• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp hangs at loading screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mad_pc_man

hi i'm having probs with xp home.

when it loads up SOMETIMES it will hang at the page where the white lines
(||||||||) come up. it will fill about 5 of the gaps then freze.

also SOMETIMES it will load up normally but will display these options:
Start in safe mode
" " " " with command prompt
" " " " with networking

Start in last known good configuration

Start windows normally .

When i choose any of these it does not load up at all. if i switch my machine off after 20/30 mins it works fine

Any help on either of these problems would be greatly appreicieted.
Ps. these 2 probs put together only happen 25% of the time. :bang head

is your system overclcoked ??

or are all your bios settings correct .. you have correct ram timings and voltages for ram and cpu ??

yeah, I would reset everything in your bios is it's oc'ed. Do you have Nortons utilities or anything that will check the disk?

welcome to the forums!

anyways, do u mean the blue screen of death? or just hangs? i had a similar problem..turns out my LINUX hard drive was the culprate (how much sense that makes i know) but apparnetly it caused a prob in the IDE channel...removed the drive, everything was fine.

its not o/c ed it is my family pc
it is not the blue screen of death it is when the black screen comes up and the white bars come along the bottom

also it just froze now. a 20 min wait and it worked
it said there was a corrupt or msissing fastfat.sys file
i am running a 1.4 ghz (I know) 1 gb ram xp system

SYMPTOMS
When you start your computer, you may receive the following error message:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: System32\Drivers\FastFAT.sys
CAUSE
This issue may occur if either of the following conditions exist: • The Fastfat.sys file is damaged or missing.
• The RAM in your computer is damaged or is not installed correctly.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue: 1. Make sure that the RAM in your computer is not damaged and is installed correctly:

Warning In the following procedure, you will remove RAM from your computer. Do not complete this procedure unless you are very familiar with the correct precautions to use when you remove internal computer hardware components. The internal components of some computers may be damaged by static electricity discharge, use of too much force for removal or insertion, or the use of inappropriate tools. Microsoft recommends that you contact a qualified technician for repair of internal computer components. For information about the correct handling of computer components, contact your computer manufacturer. For information about how to contact your hardware manufacturer, click the appropriate article number in the following list to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
65416 Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, A-K

60781 Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, L-P

60782 Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, Q-Z
a. Turn off your computer.
b. Remove the memory modules that are installed in your computer, but leave enough RAM for your computer to start and run Windows. For additional information about the Windows RAM requirements, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
304297 System Requirements for Microsoft Windows Operating Systems
c. Start your computer. If you still receive the error message that is described in the "Symptoms" section of this article, remove a different memory module. You may have to restart your computer several times to identify the specific memory module that is not working correctly.
d. If you determine that one or more memory modules are damaged, replace the damaged RAM, and then test to determine if the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved, do not complete the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved or you determine that none of your memory modules are damaged, go to step 2.

2. Important If your computer is using the NTFS file system, you cannot use the following procedure to expand the Fastfat.sys file. Instead, you must create a parallel installation of Windows 2000. For additional information about how to create a parallel installation of Windows 2000, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
266465 HOW TO: Perform a Parallel Installation of Windows 2000
Start your computer by using a startup disk that contains drivers for your CD-ROM drive. For example, you can use a startup disk from a computer that is running Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition.
3. At the command prompt, type cd c:\winnt\system32\drivers, and then press ENTER.
4. Type dir fastfat.sys, and then press ENTER. If you receive a "File not found" message, go to step 6. If you do not receive a "File not found" message, go to the next step.
5. Type ren fastfat.sys fastfat.old, and then press ENTER.
6. Type CD-ROM drive letter:, and then press ENTER.
7. Type cd i386, and then press ENTER.
8. Type expand.exe fastfat.sy_ c:\winnt\system32\drivers\fastfat.sys, and then press ENTER.
9. Type c:, and then press ENTER.
10. Restart your computer.

very simple...u hafta read ur mobo manual. it will tell u. You use a jumper, and ull hear some beeps..but READ FIRST!

no..this wont kill ur HDD...all it does is reset the motherboards settings to factory default...

I believe depending on the MB you can also reset in CMOS. To enter hit delete when booting until menu appears then search for option to reset.

The cmos is a small round metal piece on your mobo, it looks very similar to one of those flat hearing aid batteries. I've done that a couple times for certain problems and it worked great.

Back