• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Firefox freezes...any suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

violineb

I never ever have this problem at home however I recently recommended Firefox to a friend of mine in Iceland and he absolutely loves it and would never go back to IE except for one rather important problem. Every once in a while Firefox will just freeze to no return. The mouse freezes and there's no way even to exit the program by bringing the task manager up. The only fix is to manually shutdown and restart. IMO that's not a very good fix at all, especially when it happens again and again.

His specs are.
IBM Thinkpad A20m
P3 600mhz
128mb ram
WinXP Pro (amazingly the PC runs perfectly even with this little ram)

And just some more FYI he's running Panda Antivirus Platinum for security. Maybe that has something to do with it but I'm not sure.

This happened with the Version 1 prerelease and we thought that uninstalling that and installing official Version 1 should fix this but it didn't. I'd really appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks

This is a tough one. First of all did you totally wipe your buddies profile when you updated the browser? If not, that should be your first step.

Is he using any extensions? Is the freezing completely random? Is His HDD going nuts while Firefox is frozen?

A P3 600 & 128mb of RAM running Windows XP on a laptop?
puke.gif

I find that Windows XP needs 256mb or RAM to run healthy, and thats only if you don't want to game. The RAM shortage being compounded by the page file being on a slow lappy HDD. But I doubt this is the problem so I'll say nothing more I promise :)

If the profile thing does not work my next suggestion is to look through this list of Firefox freeze bugs. See if your friend can fix his freezes with any of the workarounds posted in any of those bugs. Many of these may be totally irrelevant to the problem, but one of them might hit the nail on the head.

Back