• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooled after a long wait

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silmatharien

Well everyone, I am finally water cooled. Everything's going smoothly and I'm seeing a 10-15 C difference (for the better, :)) in temps. Thank you all very much for your advice and for taking the time to answer my questions and directing me towards info.

I'm hoping for a digital camera for my birthday so if I get one, I'll take some pics and post them for you all to see.

ya pics would be cool. My wc system is in the building process (hoping to complete it by Xmas) Also can you tell us the components you used for the build

That's a nice rig. All proper parts, no Dangerden nonsense going on there. Of course, you will have to buy a new waterblock when you upgrade to a 939 chipset (which I assume you will eventually, it is the future for AMD).

I'm future proof. I got a Storm G4.

No, I won't. I can just buy a new mounting bracket and voila! While I was looking at all of this stuff, I made sure it was future compatible. And it is :D None of this cheesy air cooling for me.

The fans on my rad are a bit loud though - 34 dBA. I bet I could undervolt them a bit although I'm not sure how.

Lemme check .. in total it cost roughly $450 Cdn or about $375 US.

That was also including an MCX159-A chipset cooler and a tube of Arctic Silver 5. Those two things alone added almost another $60 Cdn. onto the total.

Last edited:
wow, thats almost the exact same setup as I just built. Only difference is I got a Storm G4, and am using 2 120mm Sanyo Denki's on the rad (used 2fresh's fan as a case fan, its dead quiet when 7v'd and pushes a decent amount of air, but not as much as the denkis). Other than that its exactly the same: Silverprop Fusion HL, 2fresh Rad, Muffled DD D4 (same thing, just different name), T-Line. Oh, Im also using tygon, but its the same stuff basically.

I really couldn't justify spending $50 on Tygon when this stuff cost <$20. It's great for what I needed. How are you undervolting your fans? Mine are still pretty loud ... 2 x 34 dBA each ..

the tygon is cheaper from DD, it was only about $30 for me, compared for about $15 for clearflex. I just decided to go all out, its $15, not the end of the world.

Achilles17 said:
the tygon is cheaper from DD, it was only about $30 for me, compared for about $15 for clearflex. I just decided to go all out, its $15, not the end of the world.

I'm in Canada though. BIG difference between $50 and $20. I didn't want to spend $50 every six months replacing my tubing. Secondly, this Clearflex 60 works great - I have no need for anything more.

So with my fans at 7V, my idle temp is 30*C and during the heat test in Prime 95, the max temp recorded is 43*C.

Achilles17 said:

Tygon is even cheaper from McMaster, but it's still overpriced IMO. Clearflex and Masterkleer are just as good unless you have a small case and need to make extra tight turns.

Back