• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who Says you cant?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orionlion82

I Have allways wanted to get into water cooling, but financially, it is out of my reach. Building my own components from scratch to save money, is allso out of the question, as I have no more tools than a leatherman and a flashlight.
I may have a good compromize to propose to the community.
1. Get a good deal on a good waterblock.
2. The tubing can be had at any corner hardware/auto store. (Your prices may vary)
3. A small radiatior can be scrounged for a gentle price if you know where to look..., and fans - well, im sure we can handle that...

4. I see no reason that tupperware cannot be a good resouirvour. (If modded correctly.)
5. I do not believe that we have to buy "computer enthusiast" pumps, for astronomical costs!
Just about any small 12V pump will do!, and many can be had from the dusty corners of the local bait and tackle shop for under $15
I propose that if a small bilge pump can keep you from drowning, and your ship from sinking, I'm perfectly happy to drop it in some tupperware, and adapt it for cooling uses on my rig.
As most of us are modders, and are capable of adapting parts and making proper systems anyhow, give some thought to bilge pumps.
For example, a large retail chain sells bottom fed 12V pumps that can be had for less with a bit of reasearch.
I may explore this instead of case/air cooling upgrades...would like to provoke some thought in the community, and possibly save some people some $$$...
I am very tempted to take this option instead of the cost of new air cooling...Bilge Pumps

A couple other options-

A $20 (with shipping) Via Aqua 1300 submerged in an acrylic food container reservoir ($5) would definitely net some savings as well.

The Via has nice stats but is known to leak. You could gain both a bit more dependability (by watercooling the pump as well) and performance with this pump submerged. Its also designed for continual use as opposed to the occasional use bilge pumps.

You can get a pair of Sanyo Denki (hubba hubba) fans from ebay for around $16 shipped.

If you can fabricate a shroud out of re-enforced cardboard, sheet metal, or even acrylic it will run sub $5 if you have to tools to make it work.

Heater Core from a local store for about $20.

Tubing as you said can be found locally and cheaply. Sure the things like Tygon, Clearflex, Primoflex, etc are a bit better but the cheap stuff certainly works fine. As will standard cheapo worm clamps from the same store.

The expensive 'must have' part is really the waterblock. While there are performance differences in whats available if you dont have to have top end there are some perfectly good ones normally on ebay for around $20 + shipping.

Pump - $20
Block - $25
HC - $20
Fans - $16
Shround - $5
Reservoir - $5
Fittings - $7

Nets out sub $100 for a pretty solid system. It will certainly outperform the sub-$100 kits available now.

This also leaves open space for upgrades later if you decide to get more pump or a better WB.

Last edited:
Sub-$100 is the name of the game. Of course, our goals are common Bsmash, but I still have interest in the bilge pump.
I would be happy to spend heavily on a proper water block.
I wouldnt touch a kit, I can build something cheaper, and from what I've seen of kits, more solid, and effective.
I can confirm your comments on the "occasional use" of bilge pumps. I cannot say weather they are constant duty, especially at that size/price. One would hope that the "enthusiast" pumps are constant duty, for the price that is charged.
However, I had a small 12V pump in that size/price range, (fist sized, about $15.00) and I used it for nearly 3 years to pump out the backyard after torrential rains in Dallas. Note that it picked up whatever "nature" got sucked in, and I allways ran it at 24 volts for between 2-4 hours at a time. (could be run at 7V, or whatever as well) By Year Two, it had gone from whisper quiet, to the sound and fury of a blender, there was no question that it would fail, and were it in my computer, it would have been replaced immediately. A few more months of that , and it went from the sound of a Dying Pump, eventually to that Horrible-Bearing-Screeching, and 10 minuets later - kaput. For this reason, I would be comfortable with a non-constant-duty pump. There is no mystery to the sound of a dying pump. Were it in use constantly, at lower voltage, with no FOD (debris damage) possible the warning period could be up to about 12 hours, and with that amount of noise.
I am allso lucky to have a nearly unlimited source of cardboard for shroud, a couple of spare fans, and an old motor pool yard full of junk that may contain radiators that could suit my needs for a low cost. That being said, I should have bought a waterblock a long time ago, and just gone ahead with it - The hardware store is right next to a pet store, and both a 5 minuete walk from campus...however, I bet their pumps are pricey. Next weekend, ill roam over there, with my only intent being to scope out W/C equipment.

Anyone else with information on bilge pumps?

Last edited:
I would really look for a cheap aquarium pump for water cooling instead of a bilge pump. I am not a big boater but I used to take the kids out a few times a year and had to replace 2 bilge pumps in four years. it could of been bad luck but still not something I would trust my PC to.

As long as the pump is magdrive, the type doesn't matter too much. But most bilge pumps are direct drive, and then you will get water leaking into the motor and bearings going...

Cheap aquarium pumps are the way to go!

Interesting, A_1... My Experience in the boating life is more than casual, so probably a different context/background/viewpoint, but I must say that from my expereience, a pump every two years is a mild eye opener- depending on (hate to say it, my apoligies) the level of maintenence, which falls generally in line with frequency of use of said watercraft, in that casual use equates to casual maintence, which is acceptable/normal for the context (As I understand) you describe. Sorry if that sounds a bit sharp...
Note that there is the option to run a (larger) pump at lower voltage to extend its life, and I would be thrilled to get two years out of a bilge pump, or fishtank pump, if it only cost $15 or so, but still it comes back to the question of constant duty pumps. My purposes are to explore options other than enthusiast/aquarium pumps that can be had in the $15 ballpark...hoping to find some new options. Will poke around the net tonight and see what I can offer in terms of info.

Back