• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

win2k3 - rebuild disk defragmenter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
somehow i lost the disk defragmenter in my win2k3 install. i was wondering how i could re-build it so it would reinstall it.

just in case, here is the error that i get when i try to open it.

defrag.jpg

it is also missing from the computer managment console.

Last edited:
try going to run and type "mmc" without the quotes. and then add in a snapin for the defragmenter.

Ebola said:
try going to run and type "mmc" without the quotes. and then add in a snapin for the defragmenter.

the odd thing about that is there is no disk defragmenter anywhere when i go to add the snap-in... it's quite odd...

I guess I would just bite the bullet and do a format/reinstall. If something like the defragmenter is missing other important things might be as well.

i didn't think it was relevant at the time, but i bet i know what happened to it...

a while ago i had diskkeeper server installed on there and i uninstalled it. maybe the uninstall somehow removed the disk defragmenter snap-in as it does replace it in windows when diskkeeper is installed... i just find it odd that it could remove it because i have done the same thing on another server and it went back to normal...

computers... gotta love em...

Back