• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB CD Rom drivers for laptop? (installing OS)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mooncow

Registered
Ok, well i have a laptop, but i cannot install win2000/XP because it doesn't detect the USB CD...
I think the USB drivers need to be installed but i don't know how!

I formatted the hard drive using a win98 bootdisk, and then tried to use a boot disk from here: http://www.stefan2000.com/darkehorse/PC/DOS/Drivers/USB/
USB DOS CD ROM Boot Disk -New!

But sadly, it doesn't work as far as I can tell...

Any help would be much appriciated!!

I think you're pretty much screwed if you do not have an internal CD-ROM. You cannot load drivers without an OS (to my knowledge). Either way get yourself an internal CD-Rom and try it that way. By the way, why did you format ur HD? What OS did you have before you formatted?

Yeah, with the exception of newer motherboards you need an OS before USB drivers are present.
How old is your laptop? If it doesn't have an internal CD, 2000/XP might be a bit ambitous for your lappy.

Have you checked the BIOS for the option to boot to USB devices or declared it in the boot order? My laptop is like that and needs to be enabled for booting or else it'll never be detected.

As mentioned, it may depend on how old it is too. An older laptop may not have been built with the ability to boot to USB.

well it was given to me by someone, and the hdd is clean. the laptop is P3 600mhz (it has a Windows 2000 sticker on it)

It doesn't detect the CD rom drive in the BIOS, and it seems like some options are locked (like turn off password, etc) Should I flash the BIOS or something if it will help?

Thats terrible advice. If you bork your bios by flashing it then you lose the use of the laptop. First check to see if you can boot from any usb device. There should a an option in the bios. Look specifically at boot order. Make sure removable device or usb drive is on top. Is there a floppy drive for the system? or any other type of removable media recognized by the bios?

Back