• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about leak testing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gongo56

so you assemble everything on the outside and run it off of your PSU to leak test it... but then you break everything down and rebuild it inside your computer? so basically all you leak test is the pump and rad... but as to the fittings and stuff when you put it in your case, ther still is a chance of a leak from an incorrect hose connection right?

I've always heard to measure the tubes and everything inside the case, then assemble outside, leak test, and put the whole assembly into the case. That's what I did, and it was a PITA, but it gave me peace of mind.

Gongo56 said:
so you assemble everything on the outside and run it off of your PSU to leak test it... but then you break everything down and rebuild it inside your computer?

Correct. This initial testing will ensure that components such as pumps, rads and blocks do not leak.

Gongo56 said:
so basically all you leak test is the pump and rad... but as to the fittings and stuff when you put it in your case, ther still is a chance of a leak from an incorrect hose connection right?

Essentially correct; the second phase of testing should be done with the pump powered up and the machine powered down. That way if there is a connection leak, you can just make repairs, dry everything out and then proceed as normal.

JoT said:
I've always heard to measure the tubes and everything inside the case, then assemble outside, leak test, and put the whole assembly into the case. That's what I did, and it was a PITA, but it gave me piece of mind.

Depending on your case and w/c routing, this method may work and would be prefered. In the case (sorry, no pun intended) of my machine, however, this would not be possible.

Try to put install it without taking it apart, else it would defeat the purpose. I'd test it in your case for a day, if no leaks, install the hardware and install the WC. Do things like put the vid card on the block,then in the AGP slot. install the CPU and put the block on with the hose. just make sure you have every on and nothing else needs to go on before you connect the hose and test.

Keep all you can outside of the case, eveything except the blocks should be outside the case. It might be clumsy but its safer that way as you have less things that can leak.

I installed it all into my case and even attached the waterblock to the CPU/Mobo. Then I filled it, flushed it, drained it, filled it again and leak tested it. I put a couple dish towels and paper towels on the mobo and around the waterblock, and of course no power was going to the mobo or any other component besides the pump.

This made it very simple because once the leak test was successful I just installed my video and sound card, hooked up all power cables and powered on the system.

Back