• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wOOT, Drilled into my 6800, and now my maze 3 is mounted

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CandymanCan

Disabled
Man im still shaking right now. The holes near the video card's core were to small for any hardware store in my area, they had the small bolts they just were long enough and he said they dont make them thin and the length i need cuss the strength will be comprimised.

So i grew balls today and decited to take my drill with a small drill bit and start drilling the hole away to make it bigger. Keep in mind i measured the distance between each hole and the traces (you know those little lines on the board where the card send information through that are all over the video card) and they were less or 1mm away fro mthe hole, thier is still some good distance between them but it was scary as hell.

Anyway i mounted the block with the 2 holes that lined up, leak tested it and hooked it in the pc crossed my fingers and flipped the switch. It worked i couldnt belive it. Im using hot water right now to get the kinks and bend the hoses cuss warmish hot water makes the clearflex tubes bend easier, but my temps are 47c right now, over the 55c or so i used to get on idle. 8c diff so far using warm water. My cpu temps will be a little warmer now cuss my Black ice will have to struggle keeping up with the Cpu and video card wattage but as long as the temps dont go above 50c im fine with that. Update the temps are fully idle @ 42c and load seems to stay in the 40's upper 40's. My cpu has actually only gone up like 3-4c on load which isnt alot.

Sorry for bad quality my bro stole my good camera and he is in school :mad:

Thier in this pic you see my whole pc pretty much, as u see i do have a modded Maze 2 block that i had to drill also to mod some bracket on the top and bottom cuss the 2 mounting holes were longer then the block was.

Picture0041.jpg

My Maze Lucent block on the GT, i had to take the memory sink off, but i actually think it helped more cuss the ram is able to overclock more also.

Picture0021.jpg

Here is one of the 4 mounting holes by the GPU, i could only use 2, but see how close the traces on the board are to the holes, i had to enlarge the hole to amount of the white circle, which is alot considering how close those things were.

Picture0061.jpg

Back of the card

Picture0011.jpg

and for the heck of it since i never posted pics of my maze 2 block here it is , that Oatmeal looking stuff is the nail glue for contruction work i used t seal it up heheh

Picture0051.jpg

Last edited:
Ok an Update my temps seem to idling @ 43c for my Video card and 33c for my cpu, my video card's max temps seem to get only to about 45c.

My overclocks have gone up from 440/1180 (which was stable but barely) to 463/1200 and no error's no artifacts no nothign ran through 3dmark03 7 times. My score is 13638, i was thinking i would get 14k, but it seems to reach that the 6800's need a core of like 490 or higher

ARRRRGGG... Dude i thought I told you NOT to do this :bang head. Oh well. Congrats on not killing your card.

Have the OCs changed?

hey Sen, pay attention :D
CandymanCan said:
My overclocks have gone up from 440/1180 (which was stable but barely) to 463/1200 and no error's no artifacts no nothign ran through 3dmark03 7 times. My score is 13638, i was thinking i would get 14k, but it seems to reach that the 6800's need a core of like 490 or higher

CandymanCan said:
Man im still shaking right now. The holes near the video card's core were to small for any hardware store in my area, they had the small bolts they just were long enough and he said they dont make them thin and the length i need cuss the strength will be comprimised.

So i grew balls today and decited to take my drill with a small drill bit and start drilling the hole away to make it bigger. Keep in mind i measured the distance between each hole and the traces (you know those little lines on the board where the card send information through that are all over the video card) and they were less or 1mm away fro mthe hole, thier is still some good distance between them but it was scary as hell.

Anyway i mounted the block with the 2 holes that lined up, leak tested it and hooked it in the pc crossed my fingers and flipped the switch. It worked i couldnt belive it. Im using hot water right now to get the kinks and bend the hoses cuss warmish hot water makes the clearflex tubes bend easier, but my temps are 47c right now, over the 55c or so i used to get on idle. 8c diff so far using warm water. My cpu temps will be a little warmer now cuss my Black ice will have to struggle keeping up with the Cpu and video card wattage but as long as the temps dont go above 50c im fine with that.

I'll get some pics ina sec first i have to test the card and stuff. :attn:
Yeah, it's scary... I did this with chipset holes on NF7-s so I could mount my passive heatsink. Congrats on the success :)

CandymanCan said:

TEC time? :santa: :burn:

Pretty ballsy, but I've been there for sure. Just recently took a Dtek NB WB & mounted it to my 9800 pro 256 flashed to XT. Accidentally removed the shim & left it that way. Working just fine for a couple weeks now. No crushed GPU (knock on wood).

I know the feeling of crossing your fingers while you turn your PC on for the first time after an iffy mod.

For future reference guys, about two years ago I special ordered (from work) a box of 2" #4 stainless, roundhead machine screws. I have about 3/4 of a box left, I would be more than happy to share. They fit those small holes in video cards and Mobo's very nice.

LMK Just shoot

Just shoot said:
For future reference guys, about two years ago I special ordered (from work) a box of 2" #4 stainless, roundhead machine screws. I have about 3/4 of a box left, I would be more than happy to share. They fit those small holes in video cards and Mobo's very nice.

LMK Just shoot

Thats what i have, #4-40 bolts. I needed something like #3 or #2-56 bolts. They had them they were only 1inch long and needed to be 1 1/2 inch long. Im brother stole my Camera from me hes in school i can only take pics of my block mounted cuss the pc needs to be on, later I'll take some pics of the drilled holes heh. I'll update my first post ina second.

Yes sen i know you suggested not to do this, i considerd it, but thought i could this without problems and it worked. Paid off 2

CandymanCan said:
Thats what i have, #4-40 bolts. I needed something like #3 or #2-56 bolts. They had them they were only 1inch long and needed to be 1 1/2 inch long. Im brother stole my Camera from me hes in school i can only take pics of my block mounted cuss the pc needs to be on, later I'll take some pics of the drilled holes heh. I'll update my first post ina second.

Yes sen i know you suggested not to do this, i considerd it, but thought i could this without problems and it worked. Paid off 2

Wow, smaller than #4-40, I guess I've not seen that before. I learned something new.

Nice work anyways.

glad to see it worked out smoothly. just out of curiousity how far is the tubing coming out from cpu to vid card? why not and 90 elbow in there?

Dude you have some serious balls....good job.

In August, I ground off the tiny heatsink screws on the back of my x800pro with a dremal cutting disc (they were stripped). I nearly had a heart attack, sweat was pouring off my face, I didn't think my card was going to make it.

All you really needed to do is get the right size screws :rolleyes: 4-40 or m3 screws fit:)

Jon

nice work. I was kinda shocked when on the screen for the forums it said "woot, I drilled into my 6800" I was like why would someone do that, but then I clicked on it and got the "and now my maze 3 is mounted" part. For some odd reason it didn't show the whole thread name but now its works.

Back