• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please Please Help Me With My Setup!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MUGATU

PLEASE HELP ME I WILL LOVE YOU LONG TIME!!!!

ok so i posted earlier about my parts and i got them.. below is what my new rig contains.. i also am deciding to OC so i decided to WC... first off, i know NOTHING about watercooling.. i have read and done some work but i cannot tell what is good from bad.. i cannot tell what i need and do not need.. and i cannot tell what is appropriate and what will work properly.

MY SETUP:
Pentium LGA775 550
Asus P5AD2 premium
Corsair XMS pro pc5400 2x512 4-4-4-12
Asus Radeon X700 Pro vid card
Thermaltake 480W butterfly PSU
2 x 74gb WD raptors (raid0)
2 x 200gb Seagate Barracuda Sata
all in a Lian-li pc65 case

PURPOSE:
i want to OC from 3.4 to like 3.9~4.1
from what i've read it's moderate~low-heavy OCing so i need to WC?
well, i decided to b/c it's the only thing i can think of w/o going crazy and ripping things apart. i don't want a heavy super-inconvenient setup.. i just thought that since i have the parts, y not? so i'm gonna shell out like $400 for my WC SETUP... Now, i can already tell that a lot of people might not think this is good, but i was thinking of getting the Koolance Aluminum EXOS WC setup.. mainly b/c it looks nice and will match my Silver Lianli case :clap: BIG PLUS..

so i went on over to http://www.xoxide.com/koalex.html and added everything up:
Koolance EXOS al. Cooling Kit: $187
(901)CPU-300 H06 Cpu cooler : $55
(915)Cpu adaptor rails w/ spacer: $16
(906)Mobo Cooler 180-L06: $38
(906)Vid Card Cooler 180-L06: $38
(910)Koolance EXOS straps: $9

$342.43
fits my budget but i dunno if it's good or not.. i don't want something bulky or one with all these pumps everywhere.. but at the same time i do not want something that my system will not work well with.. i distinctly remember reading something about air pockets and leaking?! will i have to fill and refill this piece every so often?? will it leak??! i don't know any1 that has watercooling so it's hard to ask.. the one kid i did know recommended this so i'm just following up... does any1 have any input? is this a good choice? i understand it's not worth the money but i don't mind as long as it gets the job done: cooling enough so i can OC to 3.9~4.1 from my 3.4.... also, how loud does this thing get? i want to apologize for my lack of knowledge in this area.. i must frustrate all you experts hearing some1 like me talk in the forums.. but trust me, it frustrates me a lot more not knowing!!! well, my disclaimer is at the bottom for fear that y'all would leave b4 hearing my problem. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE i have no clue what to do.. i have no where to turn to.. finally, if there is a cooling setup that
1.) looks HOT!!!
2.) works well for me
3.) is about $400 or les
4.) moderately quiet

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO TELL ME!!!! ANY ADVICE AND CRITICISM WILL BE THANKFULLY ACCEPTED.. NO FLAMES PLZ.. THANKS AGAIN YOU GUYS AT OCFORUMS ARE THE BEST! THAT'S WHY I'M HERE!!!!!!

search for batboys thread on cooling the Socket T p4. There is only one water block to my knowledge that will fit that socket and it is the PolarFlo TT. The Exos will not fit your socket. Also it will be cheaper to make your own DIY kit. Do yourself a favor and read all the stickies, they contain all the knowledge you need to understand and build your own watercooling.

yup jester I forgot about them, there is soon to be an adaptor for the whitewater block soon to. Noxipoo, kits are horrible. They don't cool as well as DIY jobs, and DIYs are cheaper

All the components in that kit are really nice, with the exception of the rad. Definitly go for at least a single 120 heatercore, or preferably a dual 120. You can get dual 120s and kits to mount them on the top of your case, as space is tight inside a PC65. Now if you had a PC-70.... Swiftech does have adaptors for their WB to fit LGA775 sockets, so you are in bussines. http://www.swiftnets.com/products/installationguide_MCW6000_2-775.pdf

zac42 is right, that Lian-li pc65 is a small case, and you may find it hard to manage since your new to WCing. I have the same case, watercooled and it was not easy, its a damn tight fit....go for the pc70 series and you'll get far more space, I'll be getting one for xmas.

I wasn't even thinking about telling him to actually buy a pc-70.. but you should be able to find one for about 170-180, which would still leave more than enough for good cooling.

small case nothing, I fit my watercooling fine in a midtower. It just takes some patience and creative managment of the tubing.

thx guys for all of your feedback!! to the first post, the Koolance DOES support LGA775 models, as the cpu adaptor for LGA775 models are offered as option. however, i am now also considering the swiftec WC model as suggested.. it's not as nice looking but it seems like it'll get a better job done. But bear in mind that my choice will lean more towards form than function. As long as the WC setup has the ability to safely and stabily cool an OC from 3.4 to 4.1 it's fine =)

again, thanks for all the input!!! if i had known earlier, i would have looked into buying the pc70 case instead, but i already bought the pc65 case..

dicecca112 said:
I guarentee you my DIY kit will beat that kit hands down, and was cheaper

heres a review from a respected site.

http://www.procooling.com/reviews/html/swiftech_mcw6000-a_review_-_5_.php

WW is on that graph too, the CPU block can be had for cheaper also. I'm not saying WW is no good but the swiftech block is not beat hands down, the kit has quality stuff. I'd choose it over exos anytime, and its still easy to use. The beauty of a 2 barb block.

MUGATU said:
thx guys for all of your feedback!! to the first post, the Koolance DOES support LGA775 models, as the cpu adaptor for LGA775 models are offered as option. however, i am now also considering the swiftec WC model as suggested.. it's not as nice looking but it seems like it'll get a better job done. But bear in mind that my choice will lean more towards form than function. As long as the WC setup has the ability to safely and stabily cool an OC from 3.4 to 4.1 it's fine =)

again, thanks for all the input!!! if i had known earlier, i would have looked into buying the pc70 case instead, but i already bought the pc65 case..

If you already have the case then use that, it's a great case! I thought the items you listed were ones you were about to purchase...there's no point in wasting money on another case...so forget I said anything....

I had to cut my case a bit and take my hard drive cage out in order to fit my header core and pump, and my resevoir takes up a bay. You might want to do a t-line to save the drive space if you need it. If your interested in my pics, let me know and I'll send some your way.

The quality kits using parts form DD and swiftech would be a great way to go. In the end you will save money over something you put together yourself because you have everything you need and nothing else. Trust me the litle things add up.

A good kit from sidewinder etc. will save you money and time in the long run.

Kit bashing has it place, but the stuff mentioned earlier is not in the same league as koolance.

FIrst off, did this guy read my specs and decide to copy almost exactly what I already have?!?! LOL I got the same ram, same mobo, but a 560 Prescott and an nvidia 6800. Hehe. Even ths ame HDs!!! Well, I'm using Maxtor 200GB 7.2k 8MB HDs instead. LOL This is great.

Ok, first of all scrap that PSU asap! It's the same one I had, and it wasn't stable once I added the water cooling setup (pump/fans) and flipped the switch to 3.7Ghz. I bit the bullet and got the OCZ 520W PSU. The key to look for in power supplies is the amps on the 12V rail (the OCZ 520 has a rating up to 33A!). That PSU you have a max rating of 22A. Once you add in water cooling and the 4 to 6A draw from the Prescott 550/560 (yes, draw a LOT), plus the case fans, plus the 4 high speed HDs... You, are are pressing matters. My first indication was my CDRom disappearing from time to time.

Whatever water coolling setup you go with, go for the upper end model. I went with the ThermalTake Aquarius III and am about to puke over it. It can barely control my temps, at stock speeds. If I want to see 3.9Ghz, I have to live with 73C or more! Uh, no.

If you are wanting to do any large amount of overclocking, you're going to need a serious radiator. Might I suggest the SwiftTech RadBox 120 kit? Well, not that kit exactly. I'd make up a kit using the same parts (3/8" hosing, same pump, same waterblock or possibly one of the DangerDen's TDX, etc). But for the radiator, let me suggest the Black Ice Xtreme I? It jsut went on sale at Directron (I'm buying the Xtreme III tonight, :D ).

http://www.directron.com/xtreme1.html

Make sure to get a 120mm fan (directron has a HUGE selection!) that pushes at least 60cfm and has a low RPM rating (quiet). If you got a litlte cash to spare, to make things VERY easy, I'd suggest the SwiftTech RADBOX. It mounts to the back of your case (any size fan, or u can drill your own holes), then attaches a 120mm fan. And the fan will connect to your radiator. All hanging off the back of your case, in a nice neat package:

MCB-120-DTEKJUNIOR.gif

Now I'm not sure how far (overclock) you'll be able to go with a single 120mm radiator. But I'd think a kit made of these parts will beat anything listed above, for just a little more cash (or more at all). People are seeing 3.8Ghz to 3.9Ghz with good case ventilation and using air (higher end heat sinks and fans) with the Prescott 550 and 560. The setup I'd listed will exceed that cooling, so I don't see why u can't substain 4.0Ghz easy. Hell, I can do that now with the ThermalTake WC setup. It jsut runs too hot for my taste.

Zac42 said:
All the components in that kit are really nice, with the exception of the rad. Definitly go for at least a single 120 heatercore, or preferably a dual 120. You can get dual 120s and kits to mount them on the top of your case, as space is tight inside a PC65. Now if you had a PC-70.... Swiftech does have adaptors for their WB to fit LGA775 sockets, so you are in bussines. http://www.swiftnets.com/products/installationguide_MCW6000_2-775.pdf
I was actually putting togather a kit that used the Black Ice Xtreme II radiator (dual 120s), that would use that RADBOX from SwiftTech to mount to the back. Very nice and neatly. :) Your mount the RADBOX to the fan of the lower 120 fan, with the radiator sitting upright. It easily clears the PSU's A/C power code. As far as drawing in hot air from the PSU or rear case fan(s), I was going to set the fans up in a PULL instead of PUSH configuration. Pulling cooler air from the far back of the case, isntead of straight out of the rear fan and PSU unit.

I decided to go the shotgun route. It's all a business expense this year. :D

wow.. everyone's posts are really helpfull.. i'm more inclined to take your advice eduncan, for we have SOME similar parts of our rigs.. except yours is 10x more elite than mine.. dual GTOS?! that's sick. =) well, i'm hoping to OC up to 4.. the black ice xtreme and swiftech radbox120 will be looked into.. i'm gradually looking to just get a DIY WC from different parts.. i'll post a list of parts soon.

and yes, i've gotten lots of bad feedback about my TT Psu.. i really wish i knew b4 i came on this site.. it was actually one of the first items i bought.. any1 want to buy?? i'll take your advice and ebay it off and get me an Antec 550W or something.. thanks again for all of your inputs! i'm learning so much about this everyday =)

MUGATU said:
wow.. everyone's posts are really helpfull.. i'm more inclined to take your advice eduncan, for we have SOME similar parts of our rigs.. except yours is 10x more elite than mine.. dual GTOS?! that's sick. =) well, i'm hoping to OC up to 4.. the black ice xtreme and swiftech radbox120 will be looked into.. i'm gradually looking to just get a DIY WC from different parts.. i'll post a list of parts soon.

and yes, i've gotten lots of bad feedback about my TT Psu.. i really wish i knew b4 i came on this site.. it was actually one of the first items i bought.. any1 want to buy?? i'll take your advice and ebay it off and get me an Antec 550W or something.. thanks again for all of your inputs! i'm learning so much about this everyday =)
I'm not running dual GTOs yet as the LGA775 and dial PCI-X 16x mobos aren't out, and won't be for some time (I'm hoping sometime first or 2nd quarter 2005). I already have both cards, and both are running at 400 and 1100mhz with 16 pipes (stock). :D JUST GIVE ME A BOARD! I'm ready! hehehe

Used PSUs are pretty hard to sell for any type of decent price (like $20 usually). I consider my stack of 2 or 3 I have left in the back as backups when mine fails (it's my home office/gaming machine). I've had two go out last year. Hehe, I actually blew a PSU, replaced it, booted back up and was back in the team deathmatch before it was over. :D

You haven't said what case you have, have you? If you have some excellent flowing (like mine, which I'm going to eBay off soon after my next box with the huge radiator), you can easily get 4Ghz with a good aftermarket LGA775 fan and air cooler. You don't have to go to the expense of water cooling.

I did cause I wanted higher speeds then that. And let me tell you, for every little bit more you want to cool it costs a lot more in WCing. I like someone's advice on here. Buy what you can afford, and overclock to that limit. I'm kind of working backwards/incorrectly with that theory. I know what I want to hit, I just need more cooling to get there. More cooling.. more cooling!

Back