• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

watercooling: cure for stale indoor air?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

axhed

with everyone getting energy-conscious and sealing their homes shut to conserve heat, a common complaint is that the air inside the home gets stale. but if you took outside air and ran it through the radiator you could kill two birds with one stone, get great temps on the pc and allow fresh, warmed air in to your home.

anyone have a rough estimate of temps? suppose you go crazy and get a 3x120 rad, perhaps 7-volted them to keep them silent, and assume you've got blocks on the cpu, gpu, and nb. say the outside air was 45-50F or even subzero occasionally... how high would the air be heated upon going through the rad?

I was actually wanting to attempt that this winter. I'm planning on making a small wooden frame (basically a mini wall) that fits in the window when it's about 1/4 of the way open. Have it seal against the sides, and insulate between the two boards on the frame. Then cut a hole, attach, and seal a dryer duct. Run that up to the rad fan on the front of my computer. I figured by the time the air passes through my radiator, and my computer it will be warmed enough to not cool the room off much. Hopefully the air will still be cool enough after passing through the radiator to cool the whole case, dropping the chances of condensation, and helping other components stay cool.

It should get wicked low temps while keeping my computer quiet. :D

I used to do something like this, but just on air. I used dryer ducting to duct a window fan into the intake of my case. It heated up the air enough so it was still warm in my room and kept the air fresh.

I plan to do the same thing with some baseboard heater elements infront of double windows to heat my top floor.

It works its just aesthetics that hold it back. The dryer ducting was really ugly.

Hope you're only talking about doing it during the winter. There's no way I could do it back home during the summer when it averages 100F :p

I heat my room with my system. It's a good 15ºF over the rest of the house, if I shut the door and run folding all night.

feyd83 said:
Hope you're only talking about doing it during the winter. There's no way I could do it back home during the summer when it averages 100F :p

lol yeah it was in the mountains of southern VA (blacksburg, VA Tech) so it was quite cool year round. And yeah I did it when it was snowing out so my case temp was always like 10c :D One winter it was some record low of 5c and I had condenstation probs that night, but that was only that one time.

Back