• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help problem with encrypted files!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bradleyboy87

i have just formatted and re installed win xp pro on my main hdd becasue it got cluttered. before i did so i copied my documents folder over to my other hdd. now there are a few files which have their filename and details displayed green and when i try to open them it says access denied so i reclaimed ownership by going though the security tabs in properties and making me (the administrator) the owner but now it says they are encrypted or read only files and when i try to change this in properties it says access denied again. i deffinately did not encrypt them on my old windows account and i cant access, copy, move, rename, delete or do anything with them now and i really need some of them.

please help!!!!

brad

If u back the files up using windows backup and then restore them on another computer with fat32 format it will unencrypt them...or u can log in under the recovery agent which is defined under group policy utility found in the public key polices folder and recover them by deselecting the encrypt check box.. there is also a command line utility called CIPHER for batch processing of encryption or decryption large numbers of files... cipher /d will decrypt the listed file name...

Back