• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Virus help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTac02

There's a virus on my dad's pc which runs in the backround as info.exe in c:\windows\registration, and faxdos.exe running from c:\windows\help\tours . They are both hidden and i had to uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" under folder options to be able to see them.
Now, they both act the same, with an ofni.ini (11mb at first, its 16mb now), ofni.bak1 (863kb), and info.exe (863kb), the faxdos has the same files respectively. Every 5 seconds the trojan creates a 0kb file in c:\windows\registration called ofni.tmp which the process takes 100% (then goes down to 0%) cpu to do so the task manager graph looks like a rollercoaster. Every time i change the name or delete any of its 4 files, the cycle that happens every 5 seconds makes new files.
This trojan works even under administrator in safe mode without networking plus ethernet disconnected, and i cant find anything on google about it. The computer has win xp pro, 256mb ram, 1.9 p4, rc1, a dell keyboard and optical mouse any other info you need?

Please i would appreciate any help on getting rid of this ugly worm which renders my father's pc useless. Thank you.

First run adware and spybot search & destroy (you may need to run them with the computer in safe mode). After that, try this free online scan:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

I don't know what antivirus you are running, but whatever it is, visit your antivirus manufacturer's website and do a search there to see if they have instructions for removing this particular pest.

thats the problem i dont have an antivirus and i need to do it manually

I ended up ending the virus task and managed to delete in in the microsecond that it takes to restart itself...

Back