• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Norton Ghost 9 - Full SATA support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zeke009

I can't seem to find one very important detail on the norton ghost information site... does it fully support SATA drives?

I am about to purchase this for that very reason, SATA support. That and the fact that CompUSA appears to be running a rather nice deal on it! After a $30 and $20 rebate it's $19.99 which is a good buy if it supports what I need/want it too.

So does anyone have experience with Ghost 9? Can you confirm that it supports SATA? And not a normal parallel drive with a SATA converter, ghost 2003 supported that... but not my true SATA drive.

CompUSA:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=315196&pfp=SEARCH&tabtype=rb

Norton site:
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

I'm not sure what you mean by Full SATA support?
I have Ghost 9.0 and have been backing up my Parallel Maxtor 120 gig to a Raid 0 using two Maxtor Serial ATA 160gig drives.
Ghost 9.0 comes with a Ghost 2003 disk that I have used for a few years.
All Ghost 9.0 does that I can tell is have a utility that once you have done a full backup image, will make incremental backups everyday or week automatically.
It also makes an image while you are in windows and using the system.
I'm not sure how it really does that or how well it works.

What you should do is buy the software and try it for up to 30 days and don't send in the rebates. If you are not totally satisfied with it, send it to Norton and they will refund your money in full not counting shipping or tax. They are very good about that.

I was hoping that it would be able to make a boot disk to a CD instead of just a floppy like they have done for years so if my laptops hardrive died I could restore it from my external hardrive. It doesn't appear to do that.

sorry... Ghost 2003 reads my parallel drive with a SATA converter, but not my SATA drive. Why? I dunno. I just need something to read it and make a backup for me. If it costs $20 after all the rebates are said and done... GREAT!

thanks for the info.

I just tried Ghost 9.0 and it will backup to my Serial ATA Raid 0 but when you use their CD to restore the image in a dos enviroment, the Serial drives don't show up.
Ghost 9.0 doesn't let you make a boot disk either.
If I use my old Ghost 2003 boot disk floppy I made a year ago I can see the Serial drives ok but the images made with Ghost 9.0 are not restorable.
I wonder what the heck they were thinking?
I was going to buy a Maxtor 300gig Serial ATA to put my images on but if I do that I'll have to use my older Ghost 2003.
Have you made a Ghost boot disk using PC Dos from you Ghost 2003. That should work to restore or backup to in the Dos enviroment.

I hadn't done that H2. Thanks for the info, I will try that first before spending the money.

Thanks!

If you can't get it to work let me know and I could send you the Dos files that I use to see if it works. All you would have to do is format a floppy and copy then to it.
They are less than 1.44meg
Good luck

Would you mind making an iso of your boot disk? I will be available via MSN tonight and all weekend... in fact, I think I am almost always logged into MSN Messenger.

Both ghost 2003 and 9.0 read sata drives fine you just need to use the proper syntax from dos. the executablle should look like this
c:/ghost03/ghost -fni
the fni flag forces correct sata drive support.

Hey snvpa,
How do you get to a dos enviroment with Ghost 9.0 to use the -fni syntax that you talk about above?
Ghost 9.0 uses its own bootable CD.
I can backup to my Serial ATA Raid 0 hard drives fine in the Windows enviroment, but if I had a catastrophic failure, I have no way of restoring the backups on the raid hardrives because I can't see them.
Thanks for any help in this.
Ghost 2003 will work for backups and restoring but I like the automation of Ghost 9.0

I see you guys talking about backing up to SATA, but what about restoring to SATA? Like from an IDE storage drive to a Raptor?

You can restore from your IDE to your Raptor very easy if you have Ghost 2003. It is a snap.
The hard thing for me is getting Ghost 9.0 which is Automated to see those drives for restoring.
Earlier versions of Ghost don't work with NTFS which is probably what you are running if you are using Window XP

Well guys I got it! Sort of.
I wrote E-mails to Symantic back and forth till I was blue and they couldn't explain why Ghost 9.0 wouln't work on my Onboard Promise Fastrak 378 controller, but out of all this I did find out it works fine on my Onboard Intel ICH5R controller.

Norton Ghost 9.0 Backs up and restore to my Onboard ICH5R raid controller just fine with no problems. I have tested it extensivly and it works perfect.
Ghost 9.0 is really nice because you can tell it to keep only up to say 2 or 3 Baseline backups on a hard disk and then do a incremential backup twice a day. The really cool feature is that it is all automated and it deletes the oldest baseline and incrementials that go with it so your hard drive never runs out of space.
I have roughly 46gig of Operating System, games and important files that change daily and I can't loose any of them ever.
I put in a 300 gig Hard drive and with 2 baseline backups and 2 incrementail backups a day my drive never gets over 1/2 full. This is great way to keep your data safe and it doesn't slow anything down. I can even keep on doing my video editing at 5:00 P.M when the incremental backups start. If you find some file a week later is not right or something, it has a Explorer so you can go in and restore just the file you need to.
I still make periodic backups on removable drives and pull them out just in case of something blowing up inside and toasting all drives. It does all the backing up while in Windows XP and you can contine doing whatever you need to.
It seems fast to. Incrementals are done normally in 20 seconds or so and full baseline backups are done at 4:00 A.M and take about 32 minutes. Sorry this is so wordy

Back