• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Server 2003 Dynamic Disks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daydreamer

Hello,

I'm using windows server 2003 standard as a small fileserver.
Now i want to use dynamic disks to make a raid 5 array.

The setup would be the following:
-1x 36gb WD raptor (System disk)(no raid just the windows)
-3x 200GB WD (data disks)
I want to put the 3 200GB disks in raid 5.
But I was wondering if my windows chrashed or if would reinstall the windows, would I still have all my data?
Is the raid configuration still available after this?

Well, your data will still be there, but when you first boot into a new installation, the dynamic disks will show up as "Unkown" and appear blank...a little scary.

However, and I don't remember exactly what the options are, if you change those disks to dynamic (and possibly another option for it to find the disk signature) the drives should be rebuilt on your reboot.

I don't like doing things this way, but I've had to do this in the past and never had a problem. I'd recommend backing them up in any case.

I've never had good experiences with a software raid setup, after the os has had to be re-installed. Like Jon said, the data should all still be there. Backups are ALWAYS a good thing. Personally, I'd prefer to spend some extra cash and get hardware solution.

If you change the RAID array you will need to reformat the drives. Backup your data and make all changes. I personally dislike software RAID. You can buy a reasonable RAID PCI card fairly cheap. That would be the best bet. Either way you will need to reformat the drives.

Z

Like said above if at all possible choose a hardware solution over a software one. Also if you change your disks to dynamic and stripe them you might run inot an issue installing an os. I tried to install server 2k3 last night onto a software striped array and it wouldn't work. I'd imagine there is a workaround for this but it really isn't that important as server isn't staying long on this computer.

Back