• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Here is a dumb question (water pump cooling)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtatdsm

I was wondering if it's ok to wrap a little towel around the pump leaving the back side of the pump open?
I noticed by doing so the pump hum sound dropes a lot, would that case it to overheat or die?

thanks

here is pic of my pump, it's MCP650

Backofrads.jpg

It would probably be a better idea to place the towel under the pump, so that it is isolated from the case. The contact between the case and the pump is what causes the humming/rattling noise. The 'towel pad' would eliminate virtually all the noise already, and you'd have no worries about keeping too much heat inside.

Have you tried putting the pump on some foam? That will dampen the vibration(sometimes makeing the pump almost completly silent) and not cause the pump retain more heat than nessacary.

actually I did put the pump on the pad it came with (which is something that I really liked about this pump along with its performance). I don't get any vibration sould or anything, it's only the mechanical noise it makes when it's on.

so you guys are saying wraping the pump with a towel which will create some amount of heat will not kill my pump? it does have water going throw it afterall right?

thanks guys

Since it appears that you have no problem with some DIY work I would suggest building a box in which the pump can be seated. Use some foam on sides of the box to dampen noise and finally in each end of the box put a 120mm fan (you already have the 12v DC lead for the pump) to force air across the pump to keep it cool. Of course some small holes would be necessary for the tubing but all in all it would be very simple compared to what you have done so far.

would suggest building a box in which the pump can be seated. Use some foam on sides of the box to dampen noise and finally in each end of the box put a 120mm fan (you already have the 12v DC lead for the pump) to force air across the pump to keep it cool.

will do that sir, thanks for the help. I will go with 2 80mm fans not 120mm tho. I was thinking that would be the only smart way, but I just did not want do it if u know what I mean, the towel idea seemed a lot easier :)

thanks for the help everyone

Back