• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Real world fan data

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knewman

Registered
Just a quick note, in case anyone ever wonders about this and does a search.

Original "Project Electrocution_Is_Bad" Fans:
2 x 120mm Panaflo M1A Fan
Air Flow 86.5 CFM
Fan Speed 2100 RPM
Noise Level 35 db

Replacement Fans:
2 x Vantec 120mm Stealth Fan
Air Flow 53 CFM
Fan Speed 1500 RPM
Noise Level 28 db

Results:

Noise performance is subjective. I never connected the Panaflo's to a rheostat, so I don't know how they would have done at 7v. At 12v, though, they were unuable. I think the industry term is "Freakin Annoyingly Loud". I'd say they were comparable to having an old Compaq Proliant server on your desk.

By contrast, the Vantec's at 12v are very quiet. The system is quieter than the same case with both a Thermaltake SilentBoot HSF and the stock fan on my x800. The noise is also much "whiter". No whines, just a whoosh of air.

At 7v, the system is almost below background noise.

Cooling results:

Ouch. These results are in a 23C room, on a non-overclocked FX53 (Socket 939). Results were obtained from AsusProbe and ATITool, and probably have very little to do with actual temps.

Panaflo's at 12v

CPU idle - 33C
CPU load - 39C
GPU load - 33C

Stealth's
CPU idle - 36C
CPU load - 43C
GPU load - 35C

knewman said:
J
Noise performance is subjective. I never connected the Panaflo's to a rheostat, so I don't know how they would have done at 7v. At 12v, though, they were unuable. I think the industry term is "Freakin Annoyingly Loud". I'd say they were comparable to having an old Compaq Proliant server on your desk.
I use a Panaflo M1A on my rad and connected to a fanreg.
At 6.5V it's almost inaudible, at 12V it makes a whooshing noise but it's certainly NOT loud (and I freak out on noise!).
I bought them from Digikey (a L1A,M1A & H1A), at a quite expensive price but very good quality (I heard there were lower quality made in China Panaflo's on the market ...)
The H1A IS loud, even at 6.5V.

CD :)

Back