• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blow Holes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ModdingXtremist

i need to cut 2 blow holes in the top of my aluminuim case.
How do i do this? They should be round for the radiator fans, whats the easiest way?

ModdingXtremist said:
i need to cut 2 blow holes in the top of my aluminuim case.
How do i do this? They should be round for the radiator fans, whats the easiest way?

By far the easiest is to get a hole saw.

It sticks to the front of a drill and saws out a hole. You could try any other way you wish that cuts, but a few warnings: Aluminium is soft, and hard to cut well at the best of times. Getting a perfect circle without a hole saw is going to be pretty tough (And I've tried it without, did a 50mm hole at the back of my steel case. Took ages, wasn't perfect, but it works.)

And not to pee on your parade, but this is a "General Cooling" or "Alt. Modding" question. I can give you a comprehensive answer on how not to cut a hole in a case, but if you want it done brilliantly (and let's face it, a blowhole in an aluminium case could look great or terrible) Ask the guys Here.

Last edited:
I draw out the hole with marker and use hand nippers to cut holes...works well in steel, better in aluminum.....i got them at radio shack... you wont heat the metal or paint or do anything too fast....

Hey Xtremest, we are perfectly willing to help you and all, but please consolidate your threads. You dont need a seperate thread for every question, and ones like this can be moved into other sections. I mean, on the first page of the WC forum, you have 8 topics alone. Just consolidate them into one big thread with all your questions, you will probably get more support as people wont get so aggrovated seeing another one of your topics...

theELVISCERATOR said:
I draw out the hole with marker and use hand nippers to cut holes...works well in steel, better in aluminum.....i got them at radio shack... you wont heat the metal or paint or do anything too fast....

I never thought of that, though you would need a hole to widen with a nibbler, and it takes a while. Less strenuous than drilling a hole wider (yeah, I'm an idiot.. ;) ) but harder than a hole saw, though probably cheaper and a more versatile tool.

Achilles17 said:
Hey Xtremest, we are perfectly willing to help you and all, but please consolidate your threads. You dont need a seperate thread for every question, and ones like this can be moved into other sections. I mean, on the first page of the WC forum, you have 8 topics alone.

In all fairness, one of his threads did have a bunch of questions, and we all ask questions when we need answers. ;)

Is it for a HC/rad? The best shape for one of them is square. there is even a company that has a squarse fan guard somewhere.

edit

ramlaen has one for sale:
dsc01096.jpg

Cjwinnit said:
In all fairness, one of his threads did have a bunch of questions, and we all ask questions when we need answers. ;)

I know, and I'm not trying to bash him for it, because thats what the forum is for. I was just asking if he could just ask them all in one large thread, like the one mentioned above. The more questions the better, but making 50 topics, regardless of the question, can just get on some peoples' nerves.

Back