• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To keep the 6002 or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamie_bkc

Ok, so I mistakenly bought a waterblock for a socket A and now I am going A64 (do'h!) some people say that the athlon block version can be used on an a64. I researched into this and swiftech say that although it would cover the core, it would not cover the metal cover on the A64 cpu's which is why they made a flat version. So my question is, is it going to hinder the cooling capability of this block if a tiny amount of one side of the metal shroud is not touching the cooling suface? and when i say tiny, I mean a few mm not much.

Not so much about cooling, it's a mechanical stress thing. With not covering the entire spreader, the mounting force isn't evenly distributed and the spreader can be bent (possibly cracking the die). The risk is small enough that I personally wouldn't worry about, but apparently their lawyers do worry about it.

but surly if the majority of the spreader is on the block then it couldn't crack not with the spring attachment surely?

I'm going to go for it, I just re-read what swiftech said and they don't seem to have a quarrel with the pressure: "The stepped base does not cover the entire surface of the HIS (heat
spreader over the silicone)

You can isntall it that way, but understand that there will be a
performance toll. How much, we do not know." OK so now all I gots to do it get a new clamp.

it will be fine. the Die is not as big as the heatspreader anyway so will be fine.

The risk is very low unless you're using insane clamping pressures. You could take the heatspreader off, then everything would be even. :)

sob :doh: for some reason i thought it said maze4....ill just buy the 6002 for a64...wow im retarded

jamie_bkc said:
apart from a brand new cpu. damn now I'm worried again. :bang head

Its not gonna overheat, there is plenty of contact to cool the CPU, wether it cools enough that its still a great performing WB IDK.

To crack the cpu with a heatspreader on......

If you can manage that then maybe you should just buy a dell.

also. Cracking an Athlon64 core takes 80 pounds of pressure becuase of the heatspreader and i doubt you will get that much out of the cooler and be able to crack thd die

A die will only tolerate about 40 pounds, less if the force isn't evenly distributed. The majority of the required 60 to 80 pound mounting force is transmitted to the chip carrier by the edges of the spreader (the die normally only gets around 20). If one edge is not covered the spreader acts as a cantilever beam, and the torque of the off-center load implies a greater than normal load on one side of the die.

Not a huge imbalance and not much of a risk, but it doesn't deserved to be summarily dismissed.

thats what the swiftech tech support guy told me. Since they work with AMD and INtel on a daily basis, i trust him.

no there are infact 2 swiftec blocks, one with a stepped base and one without, we are discussing whethere or not it is safe to use the stapped base on on an a64 when usuallt it uses a flat base.

jamie_bkc said:
no there are infact 2 swiftec blocks, one with a stepped base and one without, we are discussing whethere or not it is safe to use the stapped base on on an a64 when usuallt it uses a flat base.
just use yours... It'll be fine. Otherwise you're not a true OC'er (unless you can get the correct block free).

Back