• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PolarFLO Pimps out the D4/MCP650

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SnowRider

Just like the title says, PolarFLO decided to start selling pumps and they're now selling a modified version of the Laing D4/MCP650. They don't give the specs on it but I'd assume it's the exact same as the MCP650. I can't decide whether or not I like their design. It obviously is meant to go with the TT series waterblocks but the pump just seems to square to me... I don't know.

It'd be nice if this version was a little quieter than the D4/MCP650 since that is known for being "whiny". But from what I can tell, it doesn't look like this version will be any quieter (however I'm no expert).

This pimpage does come at a price premium...... $119.99 for the black, blue, and red versions. While the chrome version is $149.99.
*Edit* Quick FYI, FrozenCPU has these pumps for $10 cheaper *Edit*

IMHO, I honestly don't see PolarFLO selling alot of these. If I had a choice between this and the MCP650, I'd probably go with the 650. It's cheaper and it doesn't look so awkward. I have a great respect for PolarFLO (they have the best customer service ever!) but I just don't see this pump being a big seller.

Black, Blue, Red versions
http://www.polarflo.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=69

Chrome Version
http://www.polarflo.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=70

Last edited:
SnowRider said:
snip
IMHO, I honestly don't see PolarFLO selling alot of these. If I had a choice between this and the MCP650, I'd probably go with the 650. It's cheaper and it doesn't look so awkward. I have a great respect for PolarFLO (they have the best customer service ever!) but I just don't see this pump being a big seller.

I fully agree with you 100% That's way too much money for bling factor and zero gain in performance.

Honesrly I don't dig on the way they look. I like the looks of my Polarflo VGA block but this just looks too much to me.

Hmmm, I like it somewhat. I think they give a good look to an otherwise somewhat nasty looking pump. It looks clean.

I'm going to try to review it if possible, I'll have to get my review site up and running first.

I would think the performance should be the same, it is almost like polarflo just redesigned the pump head (not the impeller, just the plastic barb housing). If they were smart, they would just sell the pieces to make an already purchased D4 look that way. Too much bling for me though. The other unknown is if water is running over aluminum or not. If it is, I would NEVER use it.

Polarflow needs to work on the header on their website.....very ugly. Back to the subject at hand, I don't think the bling factor justifies spending the extra cash for no performance gain.

I just assembled my Swiftech H20-120 water cooling kit that uses the MCP650 pump. It's really quieter than I thought and it's just running in the full loop outside of my case right now. I was worried about it, but didn't read too many complaints about it. I'll have a really hard time hearing it over anything once it's inside of the case. It does not seem whiney, it makes a little noise, but nothing annoying. It was a bit louder until I got all of the air purged out of the system and then it quieted down nicely. It seems to have quite a bit of power and I have it running at 12v for my leak test.

nikhsub1 said:
......... If they were smart, they would just sell the pieces to make an already purchased D4 look that way............
I found this in their description of the pump....
PolarFLO Site said:
All the components are available individually and if you already own one of the many varieties of Laing, Inc. D4 pumps, you can easily retrofit your pump with the PolarFLO TT Series Pump Retrofit Kit.
So apparently you can buy the impeller housing separately. However, I wasn't able to find out how you'd go about buying that kit. I'm guessing they haven't put it up on their site yet so you'd probably have to email them and ask. It'd be interesting to see how much they're selling that for.

Looks...... really "overdone".

Personally, I like the "industrial" look of most stock waterpumps; the D4 is no exception in this respect. The CSL T1 Velocity pump was the coolest looking piece of hardware that I've ever owned, and it resembled the D4 in many ways.

Chrome, bling, and some company's logo engraved on my pump, have absolutely no place in my computer case.

Man, I have got to wonder what people are thinking some days.

Take a pretty decent little pump, and make it: Larger, heavier, uglier, and on top of that, I noticed how they avoid showing the new internal passages, which makes me wonder if they copied the origional correctly or not (possibly hosing performance). Ya know it's not just a simple flat chamber inside that Laing pump, but more like a turbocharger's venturi.
The fact that it's made from aluminum pretty much clinches it as an "avoid at all costs" item.

I saw on their site how much they want for their waterblocks too...that's simply outrageous. Aluminum tops for Titanium prices....chumps. 5 extra seconds on the CNC to put those channels cut into the tops can in NO way excuse the price.

Sorry for venting in your thread dude, but those guys are my nerve now...

im sorry but they just dont look that good IMO and for over a hundred bucks they can keep them.
id just get a d4/650 and save my money.

~Magick_Man~

Personally I'd get either D4 along with a second D4 or a peltier+psu instead...

The chrome model does have its positive points though. For one, I really like those barbs.

Wow you can get a whole w/c setup for the price of the chromed version! I couldnt live with myself if I paid that much for a pump...

this laing d4 is in different shape and with higher price tag than other d4, is it worth buying who knows? probably not, I am lucky that I found something that kills in performance d4

Back