• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling - how much $ for a decent setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

somegeek

Hitting a wall with aircooling and would like to give up a few fans at the same time. Seen some people's setups but not a lot of pricing. I would like to spend $100-150 on a water cooling setup - would this be a budget for a POS or a decent system? Seen that some people are using the heater cores out of some older cars to save some $$? Guess I can buy the tubing locally? Not sure about the blocks and pumps... kinda greek to me.

Didn't see a sticky regarding water cooling for newbies... :eh?:

somegeek

Last edited:
I'd be giving up a few case fans - 39CFM/32dB Panaflos - would those suffice to cool the radiator or would it be better to go with some less noisy 120s?

Appreciate you guys breaking down some pricing...

devilscow22 said:
add some good fans to that ~20$ for 2 ~40 for 4, if its a dual heatercore
and 5$ for clamps/T
hmm, where do you buy your fans ?
I'd be giving up a few case fans - 39CFM/32dB Panaflos - would those suffice to cool the radiator or would it be better to go with some less noisy 120s?
I would say get some Sanyo Denkis in the classifieds or ebay for 5 bucks each.
so $5 for a single Core or $10 bucks for a dual Core.
You want to get fans with a decent pressure rating (38mm thick ones) oif you choose to buy a Heatercore

I didnt include a price for a shroud, as this can temporarily be made from virtually free items (cardboard, duct-tape, gladware).

MCW6002 cpu block $40
DD12v or MCP650 $70
radiator $30max
tubing $10
Get yourself a Danner Mag 3 for around $35, save yourself $35 right there. Radiator should be around $20-$30, like he said...go to local auto parts places and get the price for a 1986 Chevette heatercore. Get some clearflex 60 from www.mcmaster.com and it should be around $10 for the good stuff.

One reason to go with the Chevette heatercore is the fact that a lot of places sell shrouds that'll fit it. Those shrouds fit 120mm fans, so you'll probably have to get rid of the ones you have. There are some awesome Sanyo Denki 120mm's listed in the classifieds and on ebay - great fans and inexpensive.

I need to get my post count up to view those... time to get my post on...

Senater_Cache said:
hmm, where do you buy your fans ?

i actually got the sanyo denkis you mentioned but I also made the mistake of thinking he was canadian(thinking of a dif thread..)and didnt recomend those. So i threw out a high estimate of 10$ fan. The thread in the classified for the sanyo denkis is a guy selling them on ebay, search sanyo denki and the user is dockguys.

johan851 said:
Get yourself a Danner Mag 3 for around $35, save yourself $35 right there. Radiator should be around $20-$30, like he said...go to local auto parts places and get the price for a 1986 Chevette heatercore. Get some clearflex 60 from www.mcmaster.com and it should be around $10 for the good stuff.

One reason to go with the Chevette heatercore is the fact that a lot of places sell shrouds that'll fit it. Those shrouds fit 120mm fans, so you'll probably have to get rid of the ones you have. There are some awesome Sanyo Denki 120mm's listed in the classifieds and on ebay - great fans and inexpensive.

good suggestion, but, I have to clarify,

assuming he is willing to spend 150 regardless, and not just looking for the cheapest solution, I would still recommend the D4/MCP650 simply because of its leakfree and long life expectancy properties.
The 35 bucks he saves with the mag3 wont really benefit him more than a longlasting, high quality component will.
It is a valid suggestion nonetheless, and in the end, the decision will be up to him as along as he knows the "know" about the mag3s (a simple search for <mag3 leak> will clarify)

As for tubing, on a budget I say Clearflex60 which is to be had for $0.75/foot over at voyeurmods.com.
If he has a small case however, I recommend spending th eextra cents and getting Tygon as it has a bend radius that is 1 1/2 that of Clearflex60.

The chevette is another good suggestion. But I would say, as long as his case allows for it, to spend virtualy the same money on a dual core like the 2-302 or 2-342. It will provide far better cooling and is future proof for adding more blocks.

SenC.

you can get a 2-342 from the autozone website for 17.99 w/free ship + tax. Part number 399090.

I would also look at this thread http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=331742&highlight=7/16 that tubing can be gotin from mcmaster as well.

I got these mcmaster partnumbers from other posts

# 5231K237 = clearflex
# 5388K17 = hoseclamps
# 5388K16 = more clamps
# 5233K44 = 7/16 stuff cathar mentioned

Last edited:
Another nice tubing is the MasterKleer from McMaster @ $0.57 a foot. It seems to stay clear longer for me than the Clearflex 60 but otherwise seems to be almost exactly the same for bend radius etc.

The Sanyo Denki fans are tanks. If the sound gets to you you can always look around for an inexpensive fanbus or make one. I have seen some decent 4 fan bus setups for $12 delivered which allow you to fine tune the balance between noise and performance if noise is important to you.

devilscow22 said:
you can get a 2-342 from the autozone website for 17.99 w/free ship + tax. Part number 399090.

I would also look at this thread http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=331742&highlight=7/16 that tubing can be gotin from mcmaster as well.

I got these mcmaster partnumbers from other posts

# 5231K237 = clearflex
# 5388K17 = hoseclamps
# 5388K16 = more clamps
# 5233K44 = 7/16 stuff cathar mentioned

Maybe I'm not looking in the right spot but that is priced at 38.99 when I pull it up. :eh?:

assuming he is willing to spend 150 regardless, and not just looking for the cheapest solution, I would still recommend the D4/MCP650 simply because of its leakfree and long life expectancy properties.
The 35 bucks he saves with the mag3 wont really benefit him more than a longlasting, high quality component will.
It is a valid suggestion nonetheless, and in the end, the decision will be up to him as along as he knows the "know" about the mag3s (a simple search for <mag3 leak> will clarify)
What's not quality about a Mag 3? Aside from needing to caulk the impeller seal, mine has been running perfectly for around 1 1/2 - 2 years, 24/7.

hmm i dono why your seeing it as that exspensive, when i put the number in the searchbar click find then underneath that is the item. I out in 10 feet for the clearflex and its 6.50$, 10ft of the masterkleer is 3.60

johan851 said:
What's not quality about a Mag 3?
The fact that it has to be fixed before even using it.
I have also heard of EMF causing distortion, and the mag3 has a cheapo plastic housing, thats why the barb breaks in the first place.
Why cant people move past the not-so-good decisions that were adopted in the "old days". Its simply not the optimal choice for a $1.5k+ system.

You've heard of EMF distortion, but I've never seen any. The fact is that it's a decent, inexpensive, and reliable pump with great head height. The only reason people had barbs breaking is because they were using wrenches to tighten metal barbs onto plastic barbs. What do you expect?
Why cant people move past the not-so-good decisions that were adopted in the "old days". Its simply not the optimal choice for a $1.5k+ system.
Because it's still a perfectly good solution, that's why. For those of us who don't have $70+ to throw around on a pump it's perfect.

Back