• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coolant piping question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Timd

Parallel Coolant piping question

Well after reading the "definative guide to water cooling" I have more questions now then I did before. I read the section on running the CPU and GPU pipes in parallel which makes alot of sense, but the explanation was rather unclear. After thinking about it, this is what I came up with:

pcwaterdiagram.jpg

so basically I change the pipe dimensions where they split off to keep the liquid volumes similar, though the piping would have to be 1/4 to really be equal. But anyways I thought this should alleviate some of the difference in flow and keep the liquid moving somewhat uneffected. I figure when I actually build my setup Ill keep the split sections as short as possible to further reduce any difference in flow. So it will reduce the positive volume change from 100% to 50%.

Oh and the above diagram is in no way scale or representative of the final product, merely a diagram to help illustrate my point.

This may already be common practice but I am new to water cooling and want to learn as much as possible before I dive into it.

well any info or crits at all would be excellent, Thanks!

Tim

Last edited:
Alright i found another post with some info and aparently parallel setups are trouble, I think it could work good with the right setup, something similar to my idea but I guess Ill leave that to the pros.

ModdingXtremist said:
you should move ur rad after the pump, before the parallel cpu and gpu bit, this will allow maximum proformance
It doesn't matter. Put the rad where it's the most convenient.

Parallel setups are just asking for trouble as the water will flow wherever the least resistance is, and that would prob. be the GPU block for you which means the CPU isn't going to be cooled very well. I really think you should go with a series setup.

Cyrix_2k said:
It doesn't matter. Put the rad where it's the most convenient.

Parallel setups are just asking for trouble as the water will flow wherever the least resistance is, and that would prob. be the GPU block for you which means the CPU isn't going to be cooled very well. I really think you should go with a series setup.
I was thinking the exact same thing, path of least resistance, thats another reason Im just going to run in series.

With parallel you have to have the exact same pipe length, half the size ofthe original pipes, and both relatively level with each other, the length part is about the only doable thing in the confined space of a computer.

Last edited:
I also highly suggest series. Now if you wanted to go with NB and GPU in parrallel then that would be ok.

Back