• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way/place to attach thermal probe to monitor CPU temperature?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mjs22

I am fed up the with the abit motherboard temperature monitors...according to it my cpu is running at 60C at idle....

I am looking for the best method and position to mount a thermistor for a digtal read out temperature probe to monitor my CPU temp.

FYI...I am using the swiftech MCW5000-P waterblock.

Any ideas....

Good question, and one I'd really like an answer to as well. ASUSProbe just doesn't cut it.

From what I've been able to learn, the temp readings on a digital sensor with a probe are still +/- a few degrees, but should be closer to acurate.

I tried superglueing a probe on the side of my A64 (on the actual side of the die), but I couldn't get it to stay fixed.

Well Im betting this would be answered a little more quickly if it was put in the general cooling section since it really has nothing specific to do with water cooling.

Anyways, Im ASSuming you have an XP proc, if its a P4 then chances are you arent looking at a mobo temp and its as close as you can get...
From what Ive seen from others is you cant use a shim, you use the flat temp sensors, tape it with the same type of tape my digitaldoc came with, and make sure the very tip of the flat sensor is touching the side of the core. Make sure its not ontop of the core so it would prevent the heatsink from sitting right, just the side.

Ive never done it, just seen review sites having it like that...

Thanks for the advise. I put it in here because I thought that maybe it may have something to so with my water block....

I dont think there is anywhere other than right on the back of the cpu that would give you anywhere near accurate temps and that is basicly impossible to do. Also would depend on how accurate your probe and what you used to read it with are also. A few years ago I got a digidoc 5 and when I hooked up a bunch of the probes in the same place where they should of read the same temps I got around 10~15° (dont remember exactly) difference in readings from them so I have never used it. Maybe now there are some fairly accurate setups out there but after what I went through with the DD5 I really dont trust any of them.

Back