• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp sp2 problem questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AL Romero

k it all started when i did a fresh install after a full format or my hdd. first i got that apache virus like 5 times reformating a fresh install everytime. then i finally downloaded sp2 to cd. so then i did another install and right after i installed before i connected to the internet i installed sp2 for cd, mcafee, nvidia mobo drivers, ati catalyst software and then rebooted and got online. after this i had major problems for a week or two. programs were not running right. some wouldnt close even after ending progam in task manager. dvd players wouldnt play videos right. dvd shink would error out and or freeze. rage 3d tweak wouldnt work and had no menus to choose from and so on the list goes.

today i decided to do a fresh install again however i remembered that i have an old xp disk and it doesnt have sp1 on it so i got all the updats including sp1 but not sp2. so now im at a point where everything is installed and running well but im scared to update to sp2 now.

finally my question. does it matter to update system to sp1 before updating to sp2? cuz i had MAJOR problems when i didnt update to sp1 before i updated to sp2.

will running with out sp2 make me an easy target for viruses and or hackers?

I think SP2, for the virus/hacker item....
SP2 has a bit better ActiveX control, and a bit better firewall.

They are still Windows things.

As long as you scrutinize what ActiveX stuff you install, you should be OK.

And, SP2 Firewall only controls what comes IN, not really monitoring what goes OUT. You're better off with a different firewall.

Do you want sp2? Up to you. If you want to cover vulnerabilities, you should just use a different firewall, and scrutiny with ActiveX stuff. But when you do upgrade, take care. Just make sure you have a backup you can roll back to.

And MS, I know you'll hate this, but....
1-888-SP2-HELP

That's right, we're gonna call you bastards if we have SP2 problems. Damn straight.

Back