• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can i have thousands of fonts, but keep a speedy machine?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

ok, im into photoshop/premire/afterFX/Ulead/COmbustion etc....i know ive asked b4.....well a similar question..but u never know when a certain font will fit exactly what ur looking for... i know in mac osx, u can link a fonts folder to my briefcase, and still have use over htem all with no system issues....any way to do it in windows?

Hmm, I use ATM, Adobe Type Manager to manage my 3000+ fonts. I would think you need a program to deal with this. ATM does a very good job, I have a very old version but it still works great. I can view all the fonts, then activate the ones I want. I'm sure someone else will know more on the subject than I.

so like...basically i can have all those fonts? and when i need to use them in the program i want i just activate them? ...im assuming i have to restart the program (PS, premire, whatever) when i activate new ones right?

MadSkillzMan said:
so like...basically i can have all those fonts? and when i need to use them in the program i want i just activate them? ...im assuming i have to restart the program (PS, premire, whatever) when i activate new ones right?
Assume that you should do that. But most of the time u dont. BTW, ATM is awesome program even though it is old . I've been using it since it came out.

MadSkillzMan said:
Yes, pretty much. If there is a font I need that is not active (I have about 400 active fonts normally), I go into ATM, activate it, restart Photoshop or whatever program, then the font is there. I'm sure there are newer font management programs available, if you find a good one at a good price, please let us know!

Corel has a font manager that I have been using for over a year and a half and I have over 5000 fonts installed in my PC.

Its an active font manager that starts up with windows and runs as a process. You can use it with any proggy that uses fonts.

Back