• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Odd Lockups

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celeron_Phreak

I've had the lockups in the past, but I can never pin point when it will happen since it's random. Sometimes I'll be playing Enemy Territory, sometimes I'll be browsing the web, sometimes I'll just be sitting around listening to MP3s, but I'm always connected to the internet/network doing something, and I believe it has something to do wiht that.

Now I've checked the Event Viewer and this is what happened right when the lockup did (I found this in the system logs section):

Type: Error
Date: 11/22/2004
Time: 10:03:02
Source: Dhcp
Catagory: None
Event: 1002
User: N/A
Computer: HAXOR

Description for the event is as followed:

The IP address lease 192.168.0.30 for the Network Card with network address 00045A7DEE99 has been denied by the DHCP server 0.0.0.0 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

For mre information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp

I checked the Microsoft database about it but didn't find anything about freezing computers or computer lockups. This is starting to get on my nerves when I'm at a LAN and the game freezes up on me, loosing all of my experiance points when playing Enemy Territory.

Every time the comp locks up, the same type, source, catagory, event ID, user, computer and description are the same. I don't see why it's doing this and I'm desperate for help =\

I'm currently running Windows Service Pack 1a, no other updates. My LAN box is running the same version of windows along with SP1a and so is my laptop, but none of them have any problems with odd lockups.

~C.P.

Try manually adding a local IP address, subnet, and gateway then disable DHCP on the router. I realize this is only a band-aid for the real problem, but may give you a fix until the real problem can be remedied.

EDIT:

After thinking for a few minutes, you may want to try a few of these things too:

-Check the IP lease time in the router and see what it's set to. If it's real short, lengthen it to the maximum time limit. The manual or interface should tell you what this is.
-If the router has the option, flush the DNS cache. If not, don't worry about it.
-Check for an updated firmware release for the router.
-Disable MAC address filtering if it is enabled.
-Make sure your allowable number of IP leases is at least the same number of boxes you're running. If you're running 3 boxes and only have the number of allowable IP leases set to 2, well, the third is going to get denied.
-Lastly, backup settings (if needed) and do a complete reset of the router. Not a simple power down, but a complete set-to-default reset. Some NAT tables on routers get full and don't flush themselves correctly.

As for getting this error when you go to LAN games (unless you're hosting them yourself on the same router), I don't know what to tell you. This problem normally isn't on the client end unless you're running a firewall that is blocking DHCP requests or related broadcasts (but then how would you get the DHCPNACK in the first place?).

Last edited:
Back