• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 way split?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tamale

For my next system, I'm thinking I'll want to go with an amd 64/sli setup, and I'd like to do parallel water cooling for those three main components..

think this is a good idea? anyone know if they even make 3-way y splitters? and if so, what size tubing would be appropriate? i'm also thinking i'd like to use either the black ice 3x120mm radiator or the one by thermalchill.. does anyone have either of these and can offer some insigt as to which would be better?

thanks!

They should make 3-way Y splitters, though are you talking about a t-fitting or something else, if worse came to worse you could always take a torch and solder one together, but then you would really need to trust your brazing.

Generally its better to do series watercooling becuase the highest restriction water block will get the least water otherwise.

Ancient_1 said:
You could use a 3 barb cpu block like the WW or RBX and run each outlet to seperate blocks on the vid cards then back to seperate inlets on a res. Would give a couple degrees more temp on your gpus but full cooling on your CPU. That is what I did with my GPU and NB blocks.

http://webpages.charter.net/chew_toy/1/WB8.jpg

haha.. that's looks crazy (crazy wicked).. good idea though.. surely with the radiators i'm looking at the water would stay cool enough, dont you guys think?

sunrunner20 said:
Generally its better to do series watercooling becuase the highest restriction water block will get the least water otherwise.
As well as this the flow through each block will average about (in this case) 1/3 less of the system flow.

Phextwin said:
As well as this the flow through each block will average about (in this case) 1/3 less of the system flow.

No it wont... Sunrunner was dead on.

If you have a high restriction CPU block, a very low restriction NB block, and a medium restriction GPU block, the NB block will get probably a lot more than 1/3 the flow in the entire system. It will get more flow than the CPU or GPU.

how about the radiators? i've heard all these 'great' things about heatercores, but frankly i think they look like exactly what they are.. CAR radiators.. i'd much rather take a tiny hit in performance for that much style++

anyone used either brand (black ice, thermalchill) before and have any thoughts on them?

Tamale said:
how about the radiators? i've heard all these 'great' things about heatercores, but frankly i think they look like exactly what they are.. CAR radiators.. i'd much rather take a tiny hit in performance for that much style++

anyone used either brand (black ice, thermalchill) before and have any thoughts on them?

With radiators you basically want the most surface area you can possibly have. Bigger the better. Thinner is better for quieter setups though.

HCs tend to be 2" thick so not ideal for quiet but they have tons of surface area and have very low pressure drops so they are ideal for performance, not to mention price.
The black ice radiators etc are basically for people who are too lazy to fit a HC in their case and do the necessary modifications to it(change the barbs and make a shroud) IMHO anyways. You can spend 100$+ on one of those huge 120mm x 3 radiators and get great performance, but for me atleast thats a waste of money as I like to work on stuff.

jamesavery22 said:
With radiators you basically want the most surface area you can possibly have. Bigger the better. Thinner is better for quieter setups though.

HCs tend to be 2" thick so not ideal for quiet but they have tons of surface area and have very low pressure drops so they are ideal for performance, not to mention price.
The black ice radiators etc are basically for people who are too lazy to fit a HC in their case and do the necessary modifications to it(change the barbs and make a shroud) IMHO anyways. You can spend 100$+ on one of those huge 120mm x 3 radiators and get great performance, but for me atleast thats a waste of money as I like to work on stuff.
so are you saying that there's heatercores that could perform as well as the 3x120 blackice?

I think he is just saying that it is not worth the money. Heatercores are a great value and only a very slight dip in performance, especially with the amount of surface area you are planning.

Heatercores are pretty good. Blackice or similiar look just as most of heatercores. Car rads are too big for most of rigs.

Back