• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok I give up, my MCP650 is too loud, what can I do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtatdsm

Ok I give up, my MCP650 is too loud, what can I do?

I mounted it on a foam, placed it in a wodden box with foam all over the box as well, but the damn high pitch sound is still there. the system does not have any air bubbles in it.

is there any mods to quiet the damn thing down? or should I just get another pump, if I do what kind of pump would you guys recomend? I need something just as good as MCP650 but with less noise.

my system states is in my sig.

thanks

I have been thinking about that, but I was not sure which one to get, I mean I have thermaltake hardcano 12 do u think this will work?

AFAIK, the rheobus is the controller with max amps (1,67 i think). That means, hooking your pump up with it and running at 12V will actually cause it to slow down some, compared to normal.

Putting it on another (weaker) controller will only make that worse.

The trick is to find a Rheobus since they've been discontinued...

i dont see how it's that loud.. are you on passive cooling or something? this pump should be drowned out by fan noise. unless you have air, or it's faulty

Is it possible your loop has possibly too much restriction at some points? If so that pump (which is a pretty dang stout pump) may be cavitating. You might consider testing it by running it in a closed-low restriction loop (Pump>>res>>pump) to see what it sounds like when not fighting restriction.

Just guessing *shrug*

My MCP650 is not loud. It makes a buzzing noise, but it's nothing I'd consider loud. It's not whiney sounding, just a buzz. This is with the cooling loop running on top of my desk and not even mounted in the case. The 120mm fan is considerably louder than the pump.

yeah, mine really cant be heard over my 2 sanyo denkis anyway. Maybe you still have air in your loop, mine was significantly louder with air in the loop, but quieted down rather fast.

Don K said:
AFAIK, the rheobus is the controller with max amps (1,67 i think). That means, hooking your pump up with it and running at 12V will actually cause it to slow down some, compared to normal.

Putting it on another (weaker) controller will only make that worse.

The trick is to find a Rheobus since they've been discontinued...

I am pretty sute that a pump running at 12v is a pump running at 12v.

if the controller cant' handle the 16w, then it will burn up, not supply less energy, unless it has some sort of special current limiting feature

you guys might be running your fans at 12V, I am running my fans at the lowest settings, so maybe this is why. I know how loud this thing is when there is air trapped, but I can assure you my system is air free right now. it's that damn high pitch noise that's been driving me nuts.

do all pumps make that noise, or only the DD/MCP650?

xtatdsm said:
you guys might be running your fans at 12V, I am running my fans at the lowest settings, so maybe this is why. I know how loud this thing is when there is air trapped, but I can assure you my system is air free right now. it's that damn high pitch noise that's been driving me nuts.

do all pumps make that noise, or only the DD/MCP650?

DD/MCP650 is known for it

think about a MCP600 or a ehiem 1046/48

Lol, after reading Cathar's posting on the various pumps...then seeing the complaints about noise for the D4/650 I have a question.

Are people complaining about the 'new and improved' muffled version of the 650 or the old one?

I originally was thinking of a bigger pump like an Iwaki MD20RZ or a Panworld 40PX but after reading about how much heat they dump into the loop I was leaning towards the 650. I dont mind some noise but dont want it to be too intrusive.

Is there a chance that the pump that xtatdsm is talking about may be the unmuffled version?

My system is pretty quiet in terms of fan noise and I went with water cooling specifically for that reason. When you are talking about a high pitched noise are you talking about like a whiney hard drive or something? If so, that isn't what my pump sounds like.

You could always attempt to do a 7V or 5V mod on the molex connector to slow down the pump. I'v read it has greater voltage tolerance than the Aquaxtreme (which isn't bad for noise). Only other things are the CSP750 and Eheims, Danner Mags.

I just found out that running the pump at 10 volts (using an old Psu and opened it up messed with it till I get it to put out 10 volts) made a huge different to the noise, and the load/idle temps stayed the same.

so my question is, what can I do/buy to get a 10 voltes at the pump (caps, resistores, not sure really) any help, a fan controler is not an option since the ones that I have are rated at lower wattage than the pump concumes.

help me guys please

Back