• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Figure this one out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jkbanman

Registered
Ok at work we have server 2k3 domain with AD and XP workstations. The problem is the end users are getting serveral "language bar" and "the language bar" entries is their toolbars menu. This is causing the open programs to stack with the little up and down arrows to the right of them. The end users do not have access to change the taskbar or toolbars. Is there a registry setting somewhere the toolbars are held. It must be that one program is creating the entries but cannot remove them... or something... Has anyone seen anything like this before. Our whole IS dept is a lose with this one

I dont need to restrict users from accessing the toolbars they are already restricted via V-Casel restrictions (Group Policy). It happens by itself. I am assuming an application we are running is creating them but cannot close them. In the toolbars menu by default there is "Language Bar". But the users that are experiencing this problem will have "Language bar" and several entires of "The language bar". I will try and get a screen shot.

Here is a screen shot of the desktop. Notice the appication tabs stacking by start menu. Remember normal users do not have access to toolbars or resizing the taskbar.

Attachments

• Doc2.doc
    79 KB · Views: 55
Thanks for the screenshot... It looks like the language bar is set to a size which almost takes up the entire taskbar. If it were possible to unlock the taskbar, you could resize it or right click on the language bar and hide/turn it off. Restrictions may prevent this. (If users are restricted, there is a local account which has administrator access and is able to change this)

Details on the language bar from M$ are here, and you may find something useful:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...sing/productdoc/en/input_toolbar_overview.asp

Who does your software integration/deployment at your shop?

If everyone has this issue, they mucked up the install somewhere.

I'm not completely clear on your restrictions, but if you have CP access select regional and language options -> language tab -> Details button -> preferences at the bottom -> language bar. From here you can disable the language bar.

It sounds like you may have applications with speec/writnig recognition or multi-lingual stuff going on in your office. Any language applications or office products? Anything non-standard about your microsoft office applications? Any plug-ins?

Can you clarify what you mean by multiple language bar entries? I only see one.

Ok this is how we work. we use mandatory profiles. Everything will be good for awhile then all of the sudden that happens. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to why this happens. I am looking a reason as to why this happens when the profile is good originally.

Here is a screen shot of what I mean by multiple language bars. Now for a normal user all that stuff would be greyed out as they do not have access to change it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2.doc
    92 KB · Views: 55
We are a school division. Office XP is pretty standard, we take out Outlook as we use FirstClass for email. We use 3 Languages, English (Canada), French (Canada), and Spanish (Mexico). We do all the software deployment, and maintainence.

Sounds like a problem with an application you are running along with the multi-lingual configuration causing windows to have this symptom - without being familiar with the software environment, I'm kinda stumped. Banged around the MSKB a bit but found little useful except for some configuration instructions which you might want to look at to ensure things are being set up properly.

Is the language bar essential? If it can be disabled altogether, that may be your best fix.

Unfortunately its is essential, otherwise the users get crabby cuz they dont know which language is selected. As many of them use at least 2 of them.

Hmm, I probably couldn't fix this without getting a chance to sit down and work on one of your installs, establishing a pattern by propagating the issue.

I wonder if Redduc might have an answer for you however - you might get lucky once he comes around. I'll keep looking, but I'm not finding the right search terms.

Ive tried google, MSKB and nothing but i guess when you are not sure exactly what to call the problem could be hard to find a solution. I'm thinking it has something to do with office. Ive tried loading the ntuser.dat in regedit and comparing it with one from a good user and there are a few differences but nothing that should cause this.

Back