• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ehiem vs VIA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Circaflex

Well i was looking at the specs of the Via 1300 Pump and its only got 7inch of head less than the Ehiem 1250. How do the two compare to each other? The price of the VIA is what caught my eye.

"You get what you pay for"

That sums up everything about the via aqua. I use to have one until it leaked, I was too lazy to fix it so I just bought a Hydor L20. The ONLY advantage the via has over an ehiem is size, and price. Don't get me wrong though, if your just starting out in w/c and are low on cash (very low) go ahead and get it, and upgrade to an eheim later.

Eheim all the way you cant beat German Products, everything made in germany is top notch. Iv had my 1048 Eheim for a lil over 3-4 years and it has never broken, leaked and is totally silent.

Last edited:
Like a Brick

My Eheim 1250 is shaped like a brick, weighs as much as one, and so far, has performed solidly like a concrete brick. It also makes as much noise as a brick.

It even says, "Made in WEST Germany."

What more could you want? Well...I do want an Iwaki 20-RZ for an extra tall bong. :p

9mmCensor said:
naw man German products are superior, even to the very quality, Gemran products :p

Also Japanese stuff is good... iwaki ect.

I don't know. I had an Erhem 1234 pump that was made in North Gemran and I was very pleased with it.

what would be better a dd 12dc pump or the ehiem pump, dd pump is a lot powerfull but the ehiem is a lot quiter and bigger, what would yo recommend?

Instead of getting via pumps, why don't you try the Danner Mag 3? With a little marine GOOP to seal the front housing, it's perfect if you want a cheap performer.

Eheim is a different story as they're built with silence/reliability in mind. The AquaExtreme also falls under this category.

earlier i would have agreed the via sucks , but recently after my via got wayyyyy to loud i bought a hydro l30, well that ended up breaking on me (the inlet valve snapped in half, way beyond repair, so i took the propeller out of it and shoved it in my via and now its as quite as the hydor was, so if u get the via try to find a replacement propellar from something thats gonna fit and replace it :)

I used a via aqua 1300 for 3 years. I recently switched to a Ehiem 1250 two weeks ago. The difference is huge. Temp wise I noticed no noticable change, but once you have the two pumps in your hands you will realize that the Ehiem is the correct choice. Sound wise it is like comparing a cats meow (ehiem) to a dogs bark (VIA).

Remember this: The whole reason we water cool is to get similar temps as very aggressive air but without the added noise. If you get a via aqua your noise levels will most likely go up.

If taken care of, the via aqua 1300 is a very reliable pump. But if given a choice the ehiem is far better.

i agree , if u can get a better pump first go ahead, but if u do settle for via then be ready to work on it down the road, now after all the bubbles have gotten out the pump is 95% silent with modded l30 props :) cheap and easy to do

Back