• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you remove the dirty bit that's set to run chkdsk after incorrect shutdown?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
How do you remove the dirty bit that's set to run chkdsk after incorrect shutdown?

...from Windows 9x/Me?

I have a dual boot XP/Me, if I boot into Me, how do I remove the dirty bit from the drive that's causing XP to run chkdsk because the power went out and the computer wasn't shut down 'properly'?

This is the closest I can get to permanently disabling chkdsk (so I can run it manually whenever it's convenient for me instead of having to wait when I'm in a hurry...):

If you wish to disable automatic running of Disk Check (chkdsk) in Windows XP and Windows 2000 when you reboot:

Start Menu > Run... > Regedt32.exe
Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Session Manager
Double click on BootExecute on the right side of the screen
change the value from default
autocheck autochk *
to:
autocheck autochk /k:cdef*

Where it says
/k:cdef*

that means drives c,d,e,f (you can substitute drive letters if you wish)

BUT
autocheck autochk *
line adds itself in after a while...

98/Me doesn't reset itself, it's easy there:

To disable Scandisk from running automatically at start up on Windows 98/Me:

1. Start Menu > Run...

2. type
Msconfig
then click on OK

3. Click on Advanced... button

4. Check "Disable Scandisk after bad shutdown option"

5. OK, OK, then click Yes to restart the computer.

I understand that disk checking wasn't meant or shouldn't be disabled, does that mean it's impossible?

My computer(XP) used to run chkdsk after a power failure, but it stopped doing it for some reason, as far as I know it is supposed to be smart(Not saying it is not dumb sometimes too.) and if it believes there may be errors upon startup it will check for them, I have had it startup and check and it was not scheduled and the power did not go out.

Back