• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is cutting a plastic barb ok?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duke3d87

I want to convert my heatercore fittings from 3/4" to 1/2". Would cutting a plastic barb so that there less space taken up by the conversion weaken the barb and make it easier to crack thus causing alot of damage?

Are you talking about cutting off part of the hose barb part, or part of the threaded part? Makes no sense to cut off the hose barb part if you are sliding your hoses on all the way. If the threaded part is not making up all the way, you need to be careful. Most likely you have a NPT thread, or tapered pipe thread. Cutting it off will not make it up any further.

i'm cutting off the barbed part because i have to go from 3/4" to 5/8" to 1/2" in two reducers in a very limited amount of space. I tried to break the part i cut off by putting it in a pair of pliars and bending it all the way and it wouldnt break. It would bend, but wouldnt break. I think i will put some epoxy when i install the hose anway. Do you think waterproof epoxy would be ok?

why don't you just go from 3/4" to 5/8", and boil the 1/2" tubing to stretch over the 5/8" fitting? That way you wouldn't have to worry about some bodged with epoxy, possibly leaky, home brew joint.

I would use 5/8" but because the tubing is so hard, its near impossible to put the pump where i want it.

If you cut off a part of a barb it reduces the area that tubing can slide over-- in my experience this makes for more problematic joints. Some cutting should be ok, but be careful to leave room for a solid connection.

I did thanks. There is enough room for the clamp to fully cover

EDIT: i clamped the hose to the barb today and its very snug. I dont think i will need the epoxy. I will however test it for a while to see if it is truly watertight.

Last edited:
Back