• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MY disk drive wont work!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dougy

Hello, my disk drive fails to load any cd.... is there a setting in windows xp that could be causing this?

Thanks

Doug

I open disk drive, put cd in. Makes no noise then light goes off as if nothing happenes. Bascially it cant recognize that anything is there.

Thanks
Doug

dougy,
First , with a CD in the drive & the tray all the way in, go to: Start>Run.
In the Run box type X:\ ( X is the letter of your CD-ROM Drive - usually D:\ )& hit OK. If the CD now runs, you'll have to make a small change in your Registry.
Go to: Start>Run & type regedit & hit OK. This will open the Registry Editor window. in the left pane, click on the little +'s to expand the strings.
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom.
Click on the cdrom folder to open it. In the right hand pane , find Autorun. Highlight & right click autorun & click Modify. Change the value to 1 & reboot.

If the registry value already is 1, go to Start>Control Panel. click Hardware & then Device Manager. Click on the + by CD-ROM & double click your CD-ROM. sClick Properties & check that it's working properly & enabled. If none of this works, open your case & check your cable & power connections. If everything appears OK, then your CD-ROM is likely Toast.
Good Luck!
-Dave

Attachments

• Regedit1.gif
    Regedit1.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 61
  • regedit2.gif
    regedit2.gif
    16.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
If you could download AIM that would be awesome. I am running out of options, and the errors seem more occuring.. I cant even play cs for more then about 40 min before the computer just locks up. My aim - IHateCS16 Thank you, Doug

Back