• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I got a serious problem with explorer.exe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Ok, I can't begin to figure out this new computer. I built a computer for my mom, Shuttle XPC P4c 2.4, it's running WinXP pro SP2.

First of all, I've never seen a computer get so bombarded with popups/adware in my life, none of my computers have this problem. I have spybot S&D and the free version of Adaware SE, plus the pop-up blocker in IE and Active POW pop-up blocker. I also have Norton SystemWorks 2005. I scan the computer with all the programs, it finds and cleans the files, an hour later, the pop-ups are back and when I run the programs again, it finds more problems.

Ok, now the main concern. Freezing. Frequently (but not every time), if I am in a right-click menu or the start menu, or a file menu of some sort, sometimes that program will freeze and the mouse will go to an hourglass. In order to correct the problem, I have to ctrl+alt+del to close explorer.exe BUT if I put the mouse over the task manager, it'll freeze that up as well. It seems that once this problem begins, anything the mouse goes over will freeze. The only way to go on with my work is to put the mouse up in the corner of the screen, and quit/restart explorer.exe with nothing but the keyboard.

Anyone heard of this problem before?

but I dun wanna :(

I might jus try running the setup again, I don't want to re-format, it's a real *****.

Sounds like the spyware removers are not removing the spyware installer so you probaly have some program you downloaded that you want that came with this adware. First off try Bazooka spyware scanner. Run all your scanners in safe mode. Also deleted system restore files, run check disk and I dont mean go into run and type chkdsk I mean the actual program where you type chkdsk /f . After you have cleared system restore run all your scanners in safe mode and then did check disk. If you still have the problam as above said I would run eraser boot and nuke then reinstall windows. As for explorer.exe my geuss is one of the pieces of spyware you have is probaly conflicting with explorer.exe you can still in the xp cd and do a repair install that may help some but I would think its just spywre starting up that cant function along side explroer.exe.

Back