• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sega Dreamcast Watercooling :O!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mista ting

Sega Dreamcast Watercooling :O!!!! w/pics

The sega dreamcast has build in water cooling. In the two heat pipes are filled with water then both goes into 1 heatsink at the front with a fan on it there's a thermistor attached to one of the cooling rods to measure the temperature. :drool:

Attachments

• mainboard.jpg
    mainboard.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 5,459
  • heatsink1.jpg
    heatsink1.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 5,098
  • thermistor.jpg
    thermistor.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 4,228
  • heatsinkchip.jpg
    heatsinkchip.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 3,160
Last edited:
Those are called heatpipes. They use convection to circulate a phase-changing fluid in the pipes. Water cooling uses a pump to circulate a fluid through tubing. The two systems are different. Heat pipes aren't technically water cooling because they usually only assist in the heat transfer.

that looks wicked. But why would it need a wc system?
wouldnt air be alright for it?

That is not watercooling, it's simply heatpipes. Just like on the Thermalright heatsinks. It's a good way to move heat energy.

mista ting said:
well there's still water in them :burn:

Not necessarily. There are several fluids used. A good read: http://www.thermacore.com/hpt_faqs.htmp.

Not to bust your bubble, but heatpipes are used a lot in the computer/electronics industry. Most laptops use some sort of heatpipe system to locate the CPU heatsink remotely on the side of the case where it can get fresh air.

Some CPU Coolers that use heatpipes:
Click, click, click, click, click, click, click. :)

JDXNC said:
Sorry but I sold that a LONG time ago! :p
Yea thats really not a big issue. Laptops have been using heatpipes for years, hell my PC uses heatpipes.

IMG_1698.jpg

...and I sure as hell dont have water cooling:p

There aint no water in a computer heat pipe. I guess technicaly you could build one with water in it but it would have operate at much higher tempretures.

slater3333uk said:
There aint no water in a computer heat pipe. I guess technicaly you could build one with water in it but it would have operate at much higher tempretures.

That depends on the heat pipe. I have 4 Shuttles (ranging from an AthlonXP to a socket939 3800+ A64) and ALL of them have heat pipes filled with distilled water.

Sentential said:
Yea thats really not a big issue. Laptops have been using heatpipes for years, hell my PC uses heatpipes.

But the odd thing with the laptop, the heat pipe was soldered to a blcok of copper which sat on the cpu, then the heat pipe just ran around in the laptop a little, it was about a foot long or so, bent to go around things and just ended, it didn't attach to a heatsink or anything. It wasn't a solit bar either cause the ends where soldered closed, so I'm sure it was a heatpipe.

knewman said:
That depends on the heat pipe. I have 4 Shuttles (ranging from an AthlonXP to a socket939 3800+ A64) and ALL of them have heat pipes filled with distilled water.

Really? prove it

If you had all distilled water (not saying that it isn't mixed with water), you would have a fried chip before it started to work.

Actually, only the first few production runs were heatpipe cooled.

More common by far is the Dreamcast that uses a large metal plate as a heatspreader attached to the SH4 CPU and PowerVR GPU chips with large thermal pads, and replaced the metal 'radiator' assembly with a simple plastic fan that pulled fresh air in over the large heatspreader from holes in the back of the shell.

Although usually quieter, the first heatpipe cooled units actually seem to have more problems with overheating than their less exotic cousins, mostly because of the tiny inefficient radiator on the end of the heatpipe.

I have one of each design myself.

someoneElse said:

More common by far is the Dreamcast that uses a large metal plate as a heatspreader attached to the SH4 CPU and PowerVR GPU chips with large thermal pads, and replaced the metal 'radiator' assembly with a simple plastic fan that pulled fresh air in over the large heatspreader from holes in the back of the shell.

Although usually quieter, the first heatpipe cooled units actually seem to have more problems with overheating than their less exotic cousins, mostly because of the tiny inefficient radiator on the end of the heatpipe.

Both tend to fry quickly if you remove either. I took the heat pads out of my dreamcast and forgot to put something else in lue of the heat pad. Forgot about it one day and turned on my dreamcast. I got to the starting screen of worms and then saw nothing else ever again.

someoneElse said:

Back