• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to mount heatercore in top of case??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@/2ct!<

I have a dual heatercore and a shroud that I made, and I plan to use 2 120x38mm fans. Anyways, I cannot seem to figure out how others have mounted their heatercores to hang from the top of the case. I had originally thought I was supposed to use long bolts, but I cannot seem to find any that are small enough to fit through the fins in the heatercore long enough to go from the top of the case, through the fans, shroud, and to the bottom of the HC. I already cut my case to accomodate the fans, and I cannot figure out what kind of bolts to use as none seem to be the correct size. (I assume I would need more than screws, since the HC is fairly heavy and would probably strip screws.)

Bah! Depends on your Home Depot. Mine doesnt have em! Have to find a Lowes but the nearest one (that I know of) is in New Jersey 50 minutes away. Figure it would cost almost as much in gas as to have it shipped from MCMaster.com. Add to that I dont know if Lowes has it either.

You can try local hardware stores first. If you cant find it then youll have to try online like me.

JT

yeah, smallest my home depot supplies is 6-32. How much smaller is 4-40 (whatever happened to fractions of inches, or even metric?) I just want to make sure it still isnt too big, but it sounds like a viable option, especially 3.52 for a 6' rod to face my dremel. ( I wonder what kind of box a 6 foot rod comes in?)

Ide go with 3' rods as they would probably be cheaper to ship.
98847A005

Weapon says that they will fit nicely between the fins without while the 6-32 rods have to be screwed in. Both will fit.

JT

Or, you could jb weld a piece of aluminum angle down each side, and have holes drilled through the angle to secure it to the top of the case. I have 2 cores in a setup where I did this. I also put some studs sticking outward from the inside so that I could secure my custom shroud to it. Works out real well for me.

I cut an area out of the top of my case the size of the rad. stuck the rad in the cut area having it stuck up less than a cm. I then jb welded it to the case all the way around the edge and made a shroud using bondo/fiberglass which goes around the part of the radiator sticking up and compleatly seals it. I think have two 92mm tornados on the shroud.

Overall it look quite a bit of work if youre interested in doing something like this.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=345384

Simple: The radiator over-shadows the fans (any radiator) by about 1/4" to 3/8". I just used weather stripping foam from home depot (see link above) to seal it.

Easy to service, seals, and low profile.

Note the undershot of the fans and radiator while placed on the case, and how close the fans are to the cut/hole. I left about 2mm all the way around. VERY tight, and it squeezes to get the fans in.

My original idea was to mount the radiator father forward to allow the tubes to come down into the case. Keeping it all internal. But I thought about how that would limit me on bleeding the system (see entire thread above) and servicing the unit(s).

If you plan on cuting threaded rod. Make sure you have a bolt on the rod before you cut it. That way when you mess up the threads (which you WILL do during the cutting, even if its only a little bit) the bolt will nudge the threads back to where they should be when you take it off.

Very much welcome. My family has a habit of passing down tips and tricks, that’s one of them. Each generation adds their own, I’ll probably add one or two while working on my water cooling project.

Back