• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

getting rid of dual boot help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigbadgreen

Hi, I'm still a noob when it comes to OS management. here's the deal, I used the winxp boot disk to create partitions because for some reason my backup program (drive image 02) wasn't recognizing them when i created them in windows on my new hard drive. To make a long story short, after formatting the first partition windows started to install, I cancelled as soon as I caught it, I had left the room to grab a bite to eat. Now my problem is that my system had one complete xp and one incomplete install.

This effectivly changed my machine to a dual boot machine, with two xp's. I have the option of choosing which one. My question is how do I get rid of the new xp. I've gone under "startup and recovery" and can see that I can edit the startup options file and also select which OS I want to boot from by default. I just want to get rid of it on startup becuase it's just annoying. It's not a complete install anyways.

My dilemma is that I don't know which one to edit out of the startup options file. Here is the listing now.

[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

By going under disk managment I know that the correct bootable xp is on disk 0, and that the non-bootable is on disk 1. Both are installed on the first partition of each drive. So I'm assuming that means my bootable version is on rdisk 0 partition 1, but i'm not sure.

I've reformatted the partition with the non-bootable XP, in my lame attempt to get rid of the thing but now it says it can't find files, which I knew would happen I just didn't think about it. I've also used this partition to hold an my current image as a backup.

So if anybody can help me out, I'd just like to know how to make my machine a single boot once again. thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Back