• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Change the My Pic, My Comp, My Doc, etc.. on the Start menu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CordialSpam

I was wondering are there anyway to change the MY computer, My Doc, My Pic, icons in the start menu to the way I wanted? I would like to change those to my "new" MY Pic, My Music,etc..I have created a new folder with same name and icon for all of them but they're on my storage drive.

untitled309.jpg

Sorry for late reply, but none of those work for me..they don't have optinos to edit the path of those, and iconpackers aare just replacing those icons..but not paths..any help?

You would need to edit the hidden Desktop.ini files for the corresponding My Documents folders you'd like to change the icons of. I believe you'd need to edit the lines...InfoTip, IconFile, and IconIndex. I've included examples for the My Music, My Pictures, My Videos, Favorites, Shared Documents, and Shared Music folders...to give you an idea of what the lines look like, and what exactly needs to be edited.

My Music
[DeleteOnCopy]
Owner=Your Name
Personalized=13
PersonalizedName=My Music
[.ShellClassInfo]
[email protected],-12689
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll
IconIndex=-237

My Pictures
[DeleteOnCopy]
Owner=Your Name
Personalized=39
PersonalizedName=My Pictures
[.ShellClassInfo]
[email protected],-12688
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\System32\mydocs.dll
IconIndex=-101

My Videos
[.ShellClassInfo]
[email protected],-12690
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
IconIndex=-238
[DeleteOnCopy]
Owner=Your Name
Personalized=14
PersonalizedName=My Videos

Favorites
[.ShellClassInfo]
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll
IconIndex=-173
[email protected],-12693

Shared Documents
[.ShellClassInfo]
[email protected],-21785

Shared Music
[.ShellClassInfo]
[email protected],-12689
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
IconIndex=-237
[email protected],-28995

Hmm I coudln't find the hidden Desktop.ini file and I'm sure I've enabled display hidden files..just in case if you misunderstood..in short..all I want to do is change the PATH of those icons..

huh style XP allow me to change the PICTURE of the icon but not th path, I'm trying to change the path to my D: drive instead of main root my doc folder...

If I am to understand you correctly, you want your "My Documents" "My Images" etc. Icons to link to a different directory other than what Microsoft originally sets it to. If this is so TweakUI WILL do what you want. I am also pretty sure that when you use TweakUI to change the location the icons for the folder change to the folder you chose (A simpler restate. If you make your folder icon on your storage drive a Hart or a Christmas tree, the folder on your start menu will reflect that.)

OHHH

k

right clim on the My Documents folder and choose "Properties / move" and then choose where u want it to be :d make sure u havea directory there - that will then move all those directories ot ther

example my "My Documents" directory points to D:\backups\old\My Documents.

Once you change the path of the Main My Docs folder, they will all changed.

If all you want to do is edit the PATH to the My Document folders, then you just need to follow Enablingwolf's suggestions. AFA the Registry edits he pointed you to in the second link he provided...you can edit the path's by editing the String Value Names in the Registry under the following Key (just as the link that he provided explains)...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Explorer | Shell Folders

If you wanted to modify the path to the My Pictures folder for example, you would need to right click the "My Pictures" String Value in the RH pane...and select "Properties". In the "Edit String" window that opens, change the path to the My Pictures folder by editing the "Value data" field.

U dont need to do reg edit to move your my docs folder to another drive.... and once you move the my docs folder the my pics and such will follow.

Now, yes if you want my pics, my music to be in diff paths then the my docs u got to edit the registry but if u want My Docs and all it's contens folders to be moved just do what i said.

I agree with Mr.Guvernment on all that except on minor point. Yes, you could do that from the window's registry, but I would recommend that if you want my images, my music etc. to be in different directories not under the "My Documents" directory I would use TweakUI and not go in and edit the registry myself.

Hmm I changed the registery of the shells to the path I want to..but it doesn't work for some reason..I might try out TweakUI out again later when I get home today..thanks for the advice.

EDIT: nvm I change the path off the shell in registry does work..it just doesn't work instantly..I had to wait for a while to make changes :santa:

Last edited:
Usually a reboot is helpful, before you notice most changes in the registry. Glad it worked.:D

Back