• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seti or folding?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

roid

Registered
Got a few mchines I would like to test for uptime with a load on them.I usually test with prime 95,but would like to try something different.Which would be better to run?

Either would work just as well. I'm a SETI addict myself and would of course suggest it, but it's not really a big deal either way. Both will keep your CPU toasty, it's just a matter of choice as to which of our teams you want to help :)

With you having "a few machines", you could even run both and not have to make the choice :D
JigPu

I would say SETI@home. I do not like that the Folding@Home website is inconsistent with regard to the name of "Folding@Home" (note representation of the text "Folding@home" on an image on main Folding@Home page).

I run folding. I like the idea that this might somehow benefit me or someone I know someday. It just might save your life.... ;o)

I think JigPu's idea has merrit though. Why choose, unless you wan't to compete for points. I'm slowly getting there, on page 5 of the rankings now.... :p

Another reason why I would not prefer folding is that party that mosts benefits from Folding@Home use is Stanford Uninversity (its reputation and percieved worth would increase). Perhaps Stanford University giving some kind of compensation may change my position.

Ascii2 said:
Another reason why I would not prefer folding is that party that mosts benefits from Folding@Home use is Stanford Uninversity (its reputation and percieved worth would increase). Perhaps Stanford University giving some kind of compensation may change my position.
Turned around though, SETI benefits UC Berkeley in the exact same way, so it's not like one is much worse in this regard :D

JigPu

JigPu said:
Turned around though, SETI benefits UC Berkeley in the exact same way, so it's not like one is much worse in this regard
True. I had not looked much into SETI@home (perhaps because I do not believe SETI@home yeilds more results than Folding@Home).

I just like the idea that folding could potentially benefit me or someone I know in the future. Thats about it really..... ;)

Back