• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC Chenbro Genie

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HammerSandwich

Registered
Check out my low-noise Chenbro Genie WC project detailed at SPCR.

Teaser:
crw_2195-2.jpg

Is that pump just hanging off the tubing?

Never mind, followed your link. Actually looks pretty clean, not ghetto at all. Well maybe with exception of the high wire act. Just kiddin ya :D looks good. Fix up that sata cable though.

Incidentally, personally been running sans hose clamps close to a year now. Clamps are over rated IMO. (will take some heat for that one LOL)

Thanks for the compliments. The pump suspension is 1mm Stretch Magic. No plans to touch the SATA cable since those connections aren't as secure as I'd like. But I'm pretty sure it's not causing an airflow problem. And that "not pretty but it works" mentality is where the ghetto comes in. :)

where did you buy the foam and does it really help with the noise? what about temps?

The foam's from part 9216T1 at McMaster-Carr. I added it to the PC when it had noisier components, and they were still noisy with the foam. I believe the foam does suppress low-level, high-frequency noises (e.g. HD whine), but it probably should be the last step in silencing. OTOH, the stuff is cheap and easy to use.

I don't want to give hard temps since I'm using mobo reports with NO effort given to calibration. Basically, I get load temps ~10C lower than with a Zalman 7000 at ~5v/1400rpm and lower noise as well. That's with a Northwood set at 3.12GHz and 1.625V in BIOS.

I am willing to wager that with higher voltage/speeds, your clocks will be more limited than if you properly sealed the rad up. Remember, like electricity and lazy people, air takes the path of least resistance.

pwnt by pat said:
I am willing to wager that with higher voltage/speeds, your clocks will be more limited than if you properly sealed the rad up. Remember, like electricity and lazy people, air takes the path of least resistance.
True enough in concept, but I don't think it applies to my system. (Did you read my post at SPCR? Yeah, it's long...) My OC is not limited by temperature, but by the CPU (I think) or mobo. But if you see someplace that I can seal better, I'm all ears. Worst case, I get more useful airflow for the same noise.

I can feel the airflow going into the core, regardless of fan speed. No plans to do a smoke test. The system's rock-solid with a 30% OC and damned near silent. That's good enough for me.

Looks good to me man! I've been thinking about going the silent route too, but I'll have at least 3 computers to work on if I want the study to be silent :rolleyes:

If you go to your local craft/hobby store they should carry foam blocks. Make sure when you put it to your mouth and blow, you can't feel air on the other side. That will nicely seal around the radiator. As for the rest of the case, hot glue/silicone would work nicely.

Exactly, now you just need to block off the rest of the area around the core, not just the top. I was thinking for a second 'clear foam like that doesn't exist...'

Back