• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD XCopy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jabaro

I'm getting a DVD burner for christmas, and have heard that DVD XCopy is the only program that can copy any type of DVD (games, movies and such for backup). From what I've found the company no longer is in buissness because of lawsuits, and DVD Xcopy has been taken off of shevles. Any one know where I might be able to get a copy?

I have DVDXCopy and it is NOT crap. However, it is no longer available due to being shut down by the court system and their anti-piracy BS.

DVDXCopy was total crap for me when I used it... ALWAYS was erroring... never got a disk correctelly copied with it.

DVDShrink is amazing, I love it... never had a problem with it.

Mr B said:
Watch what gets said, and where this thread goes.... It's a fine line, this discussion.

I tottaly understand. I've found out what I need so it's ok if you want to delete the thread.

I also use DVD X Copy and have had maybe 1-2 small problems when archiving my dvds but other then that it's worked great. Never burnt a coaster or anything like that. It's easy to use etc.

You guys mentioned not being able to find it. I guess in Canada our copyright laws are more laid back because I saw it on the shelves at FutureShop on tuesday when I bought WoW.

Mr B said:
Watch what gets said, and where this thread goes.... It's a fine line, this discussion.

Isn't the whole point of DVD-X copy to BACKUP existing DVD's, i don't see the problem.

I have used DVDX copy and it's worked alright for me. I have had some problems with it, but nothing major.

Sucka said:
Isn't the whole point of DVD-X copy to BACKUP existing DVD's, i don't see the problem.

I have used DVDX copy and it's worked alright for me. I have had some problems with it, but nothing major.

Backing up who's DVD, is the crux of the issue, and where things are tricky.

Backing up something you own is one thing, but backing up BlockBuster's inventory quite another.

That, is the problem. ;)

I bought my copy off of PriceWatch. You need to pay close attention when buying a copy though because a lot of the copies left are for Lite On drives only since they where ones that where intended to be distributed with thier drives. I have only burned one coaster and that was because my OC was too high and the DVD drive didnt like it.

Don't get DVDXCOPY as there will come a point in the probably near future when you cannot use it because when you install it, it autheticates to a server on the net to ulock it and eventually it'll go bye-bye. I was relieved when my HD crashed last month and the server was still there when I reinstalled it on the new HD. It WAS an excellent program though,

Mr B said:
Backing up who's DVD, is the crux of the issue, and where things are tricky.

Backing up something you own is one thing, but backing up BlockBuster's inventory quite another.

That, is the problem. ;)

Touche ;)

I had DVD X-Copy too and it worked most of the time ok, but when I had to format my hard drive and reinstall everything, DVD X-copy would not athenticate itself anymore with the server.
Since then I use DVD Shrink and Record now and it works far better and faster than DVD X-copy every did.

One funny thing, If I burn the DVD with Nero it works on some DVD players and if I burn it with Record Now it works on all DVD players.
I can't find a place on Nero to leave or close disk or anything like that, Strange. I wonder what the differnce might be?

my mom got dvdxcopy platinum when it first came out. she uses it all the time and loves it. no problems whatsoever. why did they get in so much trouble with lawsuits? it asks if the dvd is your property or not. if it is , it won't let you burn it. as far as i can tell, that's about all nero6 does too

svnrd said:
my mom got dvdxcopy platinum when it first came out. she uses it all the time and loves it. no problems whatsoever. why did they get in so much trouble with lawsuits? it asks if the dvd is your property or not. if it is , it won't let you burn it. as far as i can tell, that's about all nero6 does too

Its because, I beleive, the high possibility of it being abused. People don't always tell the truth - and how would it know which DVDs were mine and which weren't?

but what extra steps does nero6 take to make it more difficult to violate copyright laws. i haven't used nero much, but from what i remember, it's not much different from what dvdXcopy did

NERO6 does not have CSS copy protection breaker built in, you'd need another program like DVD Decrypter to bust the CSS. If the disk has CSS, and most do, it will not copy correctly without using a decrypter.

Back