• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

remote desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

audioarocks

i need to help someone using remote desktop. i have windows xp home and they have windows xp home, is this possible, any alternatives?

i tried real vnc with my home network and it won't work are there any guides to it?

RealVNC is the orginal VNC, and generally isn't extremely feature laden. TightVNC is another VNC incorporating more features, including their own "tight" encoding which is supposed to work great over low bandwidth connections (even 56K). There's all sorts of flavors of VNC (I use Ultr@VNC myself), each sporting different features and reasons you'd want to use. Real, Tight, and Ultr@ are all great VNCs IMO and one of them should work for this kind of situation.

JigPu

hey, slightly big bumpage.

ok, I've been trying to figure out how to set up remote desktop on both my computers and I think it sucks, I still can;t figure this damn thing out.

Here's the deal, I have a desktop computer (the one in my sig) and a laptop, they're usually sharing the same wireless router (for internet access), but I sometimes take the laptop to Tampa. I hate the laptop and I love the desktop. I would like to just use the laptop in a way that no matter where I am, I have the same control of the desktop as if I were actually on the desktop. So, then I could take my laptop into the living room and use the desktop or I could be anywhere in the world and it would be no different.

Is this what the VNC programs do? How secure are they and how easy are they to use and install.

Please give me as much detailed info as you can, I feel like a 70 year old when it comes to this, LOL.

They're about as secure as you want to make them. They are a little slower the further away you are. Unless you're siting on a fat pipe both ways. There are settings that can improve their speed while you're connected though.

I am certain that somewhere I saw a hack for this. You are the second person that I have read asking this recently. I am now on a mission. Hopefully I can come up with some info for you.

I use it quite regularly now. I happens to be a great way around a lot of port blockings too.

Ninety-9 SE-L said:
hey, slightly big bumpage.

ok, I've been trying to figure out how to set up remote desktop on both my computers and I think it sucks, I still can;t figure this damn thing out.

Here's the deal, I have a desktop computer (the one in my sig) and a laptop, they're usually sharing the same wireless router (for internet access), but I sometimes take the laptop to Tampa. I hate the laptop and I love the desktop. I would like to just use the laptop in a way that no matter where I am, I have the same control of the desktop as if I were actually on the desktop. So, then I could take my laptop into the living room and use the desktop or I could be anywhere in the world and it would be no different.

Is this what the VNC programs do? How secure are they and how easy are they to use and install.

Please give me as much detailed info as you can, I feel like a 70 year old when it comes to this, LOL.

For this your best bet is Symantec pcAnywhere. I picked up a OEM version for less than $15 on the net somewhere - works like a charm and doesnt require you to reconfigure your hardware firewall (or atleast mine didnt).

Back