• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows freezing and not loading up even after fresh install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackpaladin

well i am about ready to throw my computer out the window now if this stupid thing doesnt start working. first of all, as ive already posted on before, i have been having vid card problems but i seem to have got it working at least for the time being. now, about two weeks ago when i was playing WoW beta, windows explorer crashed, right as i was loading the game up. i didnt really pay any attenetion to it, since it happens alot, and it always pops back up after two seconds. well after i finished playing WoW, i noticed that the gui had still not come back. so i reboot, and everything is fine... so two days later, i bring the computer home for thanksgiving break to see if i can fix the vid card problem.. i come home, plug everything in, turn it on, and it freezed halfway into loading up windows. so i wait a little bit since i had told spybot to run on next reboot, but it stays the same way for half an hour. after this happeneing for quite a few times, i decide to throw another hdd in there, and install windows FD on a small partition just so i can check out the drivers and crap and what isnt loading up. i took out a few drivers from the load up stuff, and tryed it again, but the stupid vid card problem struck then. well i got no progress at all the whole week due to the vid card until today when i finally got it working.

soo.... i install windows again since it still wont load up all the way, and its really no biggie since i didnt have much on my new RAID array (which i installed windows onto 2 weeks ago... hence why theres nothing on there yet :p ). now please before any mods or something delete this thread cuz of me using windows FD bear in mind i only use it to test out new hardware configs and stuff before i install my copy of win xp pro. heres one of the weird things... after install of windows FD, it "loops" through the load up screen. it starts to load up, but then it will go back to bios and it will keep on doing this over and over again. i have now reinstalled windows 4 times on the RAID drives, and yet it keeps on doing it. i then put my other hard drive back on (this one works) but now i cant even go into the RAID drives (which are set as slave) to find out what the heck is messed up in my windows folder. and heres something even weirder... for some reason windows FD sees my RAID drives as a drive that i can install windows on. but when i pop in my windows XP pro CD, it sees NOTHING that i can install it on, even though windows FD sees it not 2 minutes prior. so what the heck is going on with my system????!?!?! i hope this isnt confusing and that people can make sense of what im saying here. anyways, i hope someone out there can help me here... its driving me up a wall!

It sounds much more like a hardware problem than a Windows one. Could be hanging because of the vid card, or perhaps something else is on the way out. You can reduce the hardware in the case to an absolute minimum(CPU, RAM, vid, and drives) and try an install, then add back in componenets one at a time.

I think it's a video card problem you're having. Duid you able to try with a another video card? Well I've simillar problem where my radeon 7500 card gives lot of problems after moving to the MSI mobo. Every time I load windows it crashed saying a rpoblem in the windows vecctor....blah blah, ad sometimes it's ati driver or the hardware. Finally I update the mobo bios and it corrected the probelm for 90% cause that problem rarely coming to me. MTW I'm a Linux+windows user and mostly trying to move to Linux. In there I still didn't get any problem in the hardware components or a single crash. So I'm happy about that.

try going back to stock speeds on your cpu. make sure you're not stressing the memory by going with relaxed timings.

definitely sounds more like a hardware problem.

did you try installing raid drivers during the cd install of XP?

Back