• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet shortcuts not opening

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

klebs89

All of a sudden, whenever i click on an internet shortcut, it doesnt open but rather says "whatevershortcut i clicked on" is not a valid win32 application" It's really annoying. Anyone know a fix
Thanks.

yes it is an internet shortcut. The filke type is "internet shortcut" and the properties show that it is a link.

I had the same problem after I uninstalled Firefox 1.0 and the only way that I got it fixed was to do a repair install of XP.

thanks, i think the problem may have started happening when i changed from PR to 1.0

In the command prompt, type the following (for Windows 2000 (probably also on other Win32 Microsoft operating systems)):

First check the current .lnk and .url (local shortcut and internet shortcut) associations:
Code:
ASSOC .LNK
Code:
ASSOC .URL
The associations should (default) be the following:
Code:
.LNK=lnkfile
.URL=InternetShortcut
If the associations are not what is displayed above (or you want to set the association again) use the following:
Code:
ASSOC .LNK=lnkfile
Code:
ASSOC .URL=InternetShortcut

Now test the internet shortcuts. If the internet shortcuts do not work, "lnkfile", "InternetShortcut", ".lnk", or (inclusive) ".URL" may have been modified in the registry (refer to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT).

Last edited:
Back