• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sony 23" LCD (SDM-234/W)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fatguy

Sony 23" LCD (SDM-P234/W)

This monster should arrive on my doorstep in a few hours! Man I can hardly contain myself, it's like christmas morning!

Since the reviews on the display are somewhat scarce, I will post an in-depth review with pics when I get it up and running. If there's any particular questions anyone has, post and I'll try to get some answers.

BTW, the main reason I bought this thing was because I had about 120,000 sony points (from my sony credit card) to spend. All-in-all it'll end up costing me about 400 shipped from newegg.com

g00!

*so far, these are the only reviews I really found:

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=sony23wide&page=1&cookie_test=1
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1638335,00.asp

very nice. how you get the sony points? $400 thats a smoking deal man.

Sony points are from my Sony Credit Card. It's like getting airline miles, except you get to actually use them.

Monitor is here, it's sooo sexy! I'm going through some apps/games to check for WS compatibility....any CS:S players out there?

cs_office.jpg

More images on the way

very nice, now you need to upgrade the video card so you can get closer to your native resolution.

So after a few hours of using the LCD, here are some of my thoughts:

First Impressions:

What a beautiful display! The unit itself is somewhat heavy (~20 lbs.) and has a very thin bezel surrounding the LCD. The stand is nice and big, completely eliminating the risk of falling over if accidentally knocked. The back of the case has a panel which slides down in order to cover the DVI and power cables. Overall a VERY clean and slick display.

Visual:

I had read a review that said there were problems with this LCD, especially at the corners. I disagree. The 4 corners look as good as the center, making the entire picture clear and crisp. The only thing that's a little off is that the corners might appear darker if you are too close to the panel, but this is because there is a protective layer covering the LCD, and it's just a bit hard to see the corners without moving your head. This is expected of an LCD of this size!

Color Replication / Image Quality:

I've read some reports that the color replication on this monitor is somewhat suspect. Where this might be the case for the professional photographer of graphic designer, any variance that is present is not at all noticed. The display is extremely sharp, clear, and colorful. Compared to my old CRT, it's leagues above.

Gaming:

My biggest concern with this LCD before I purchased it was it's performance in gaming or other video-intensive applications. Like I said before, I'm coming from a 21" Trinitron, which was the king of gaming CRTs. While this LCD does not seem to keep pace with my old CRT, it is better then adequate, but it will take some getting used to. There are 2 problems I think here. First, my current video card (9800Pro) can't handle playing games at 1920x1200. I don't believe what I am experiencing is ghosting per say, but more along the lines of video lag. From what I understand, ghosting makes things look blurry in motion, which is not the problem I'm experiencing. When I stand in one place and rotate around (Boat map from HL2) some of the textures will "stick" temporarily. It is nothing major, just not the smoothest visual representation. My x800XT is on the way from GameVe.com, we'll see how it goes when that arrives on thursday or friday.

As for gaming in the 16:10 aspect ratio.....WOW! It is literally like a movie in which you're the main character. I've tested out HL2 and CS:S and both support 16:10. It is what all gaming should feel like.

Dead/Stuck Pixels:

Unfortunately, I have 2 stuck pixels (on green). The are impossible to spot during typical use, but now that I know where they are I can find them on a completely back background. You really don't notice them unless you look for them directly, and they have more of effect on my mental perception of the monitor's imperfections then anything else. No big deal really, my old Trinitron had those 2 lines (as all Trinitrons do) but I got used to those within a day or so

Questions:

** This LCD has a 16ms response time (rise/fall), but what do the sync frequencies have to do with anything? The vsynch is like 95hz, hsync is 85hz. What should I set my refresh rate to in my display properties? I've had it at 60, 75, 85, 100, nothing looks any different?

2 dead pixels is no big deal for a monitor that size with tiny pixels. i have 1 semi dead pixel that won't turn black. it will turn to any color but black. on a black background it will be stuck on red but other then that my lcd is flawless. just like yours you have to be right up to the monitor to see it or you wouldn't even notice it. the new card should help alot with frame rates and resolution, but i wouldn't expect to much if your trying for native resolution which for even the top end card is extremely demanding so maybe in another year or so you can buy a card that will keep up with your monitor.

my A64 and 6800gt runs my native resolution of 1600x1200 just fine as long as i dont go crazy with the filters but at that resolution you dont really need AA filters as you would with 1024x768.[/

You think my video card is responsible for the video lag I'm seeing in game? I still get 50-70 FPS (low, LOW quality textures). I think you're right, I just hope the X800 XT takes most of it out.

fatguy said:
You think my video card is responsible for the video lag I'm seeing in game? I still get 50-70 FPS (low, LOW quality textures). I think you're right, I just hope the X800 XT takes most of it out.

well if your runnin 1920x1200 then i'd say heck yes the 9800 is laggin. i had a 9800pro as well and i'd say it was overrated, not much better then the ti4600 IMO. the X800 XT with 16pipelines will surely be a decent upgrade. i had a TI4600 and went to a 9800pro and notice very small gains then went to a 6800GT and finally notice a sizeable gain so you will too.

AZN said:
well if your runnin 1920x1200 then i'd say heck yes the 9800 is laggin. i had a 9800pro as well and i'd say it was overrated, not much better then the ti4600 IMO. the X800 XT with 16pipelines will surely be a decent upgrade. i had a TI4600 and went to a 9800pro and notice very small gains then went to a 6800GT and finally notice a sizeable gain so you will too.

That makes me happy.

I have the same "tearing" on my 17" samsung LCD. My video card is damn fast and can run everything on high settings but I think the tearing has more to do with the limitations of the LCD, and its response rate, as the screen can't reproduce the images as fast as the video card can display them.

BTW....nice monitor :thup:

Yeah, that's what I'm reading...

It really isn't that bad, most people wouldn't notice it really, but coming from my 21" CRT which was flawless it's easy for me to pick out. I'm sure I'll get used to it...

I turned vsync on and it eliminated the tearing....at the cost of FPS. Since I can't sustain 60FPS at 1920x1200 with my 9800 it consistently drops to 30FPS. This is even with model textures/shadows/etc turned to low quality. I think once I get my X800XT, I should be able to sustain the native resolution with a good amount of eye candy. 60FPS is good enough IMO, it's hard to really notice more.

Yep you need a super sweet videocard to run that amazing monitor. I must say I bet you are making a lot of people on this forum jealous with that beauty. I hope you enjoy it for a long time :D.

Yeah I'm still nervous about gaming with it. It's pretty bad right now but I'm hoping my video card upgrade makes me 100% satisfied.

There's no way I would've bought the monitor without my Sony points. If anybody is interested in the card, information can be found here

New video card is in and running. Stock speeds were 500/500, upped it right to 530/588 with stock cooling. I'm going to pick up a Rev 4 this weekend, should be able to go a good bit higher.

The card completely solved my gaming issues also. Things are so much smoother. With my 9800Pro I was running 1920x1200 No AA/AF, "Performance" D3D texture quality, and all in-game textures/settings to low. I was having problems sustaining 60fps (with vsync enabled).

Now, with the X800XT running at those speeds, I never fall below 60FPS with everything set to "Quality", 4xAA 8xAF and all in-game textures/models set to High.

End result: Totally different gaming experience!

told you the 9800pro wasn't cutting it :)
however im alittle surprised you can run that resolution with filters, pretty sweet card you got there.

Back