• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Virus or ? Please help me!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fastcuda

Ok, I know I blew it and clicked on a file called ?,scr, and now I ran AVG anti virus, and adaware, and still have a problem going on here. I was browsing newsgroups and looking at pics and clicked an .scr file instead of deleting it by mistake, and it said general protection fault, delete file, and I did delete the file and the news message it came in, but upon boot up the computer acts crazy and the cursor jumps around and I get the general protection fault, delete the file, but I already did, and now using browser I get a test window that comes up all the time. I did a google search and cannot find what is happening to me anywhere. Anyone have any idea how to fix without reformatting ....GGRRRRRRRR :bang head

other than acting wierd on boot up and the message windows popping up everything seems to work ok.

I'm not sure if this is in the right place so please move if it is not.

Scan whole system for viruses with a good antivirus program with highest of all scaning huenistics.

Take action depending on result of virus scan.

Scan for and correct any damage to filesystems (NT based systems: run "CHKDSK /R").

I used grisofts, AVG, and it found nothing, then I went online and used micros pcs house call and it said it found one infected file that was non cleanable, and it had the virus BKDR_LOONY_M. whatever that is, and it infected sys32.exe, so anyone know what I can do to get rid of this? Is there any way I can go in safe mode and delete or replace that file? I should have a good copy on my other computer that is networked with it unless it infected that one also through the network.

nothing comes up upon searching for that virus, you sure it is that? Seems to me your gonna have to back everything up and format

You can do a repair installation. Put in your windows CD and look around. It will replace that file and a bunch of others without removing the programs you have installed or the data files you have created. Once you are done you will need to go through all the windows updates to get your computer up to speed.

not neccesarily, if the virus has infected non-windows OS files, its still gonna be there, resulting in a reinfection. We need more info on the virus.

fastcuda said:
I used grisofts, AVG, and it found nothing, then I went online and used micros pcs house call and it said it found one infected file that was non cleanable, and it had the virus BKDR_LOONY_M.
I would not consider AVG a good antivirus program; it does not have a good record.

If you have Windows PE, boot to that and scan for viruses (I would recommend NOD32).

Well, I backed up my files onto cd on the infected computer, and read what was here. I simply went into taskmanager and stopped sys32.exe and then was able to delete it. I checked on my other computer and there was no such file there, I rebooted and no more messages, then I run the trend micro house call, and it says worm found and cleaned (malware) which it did not find the first time. I turned off system restore and scanned again. Seems clean now so I hope everything is ok. What's strange is that the worm is propagated by outlook and I dont use outlook or outlook express or any e mail that is not web based. Makes me wonder if trend micro is trying to sell software. The last scan turned out clean, this is the first time AVG did not find a virus.

Back