• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Boot into DOS CD no floppy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rich Avery

This may have been asked before, I did a moderate search so don't flame me!!

My floppy drive has just died on me and I want to get into dos after a reboot.
I don NOT have a floppy drive at all... I want to burn wfflash onto a CD along with some gfx bios files.
Is there a download, like an ISO or something that I can load into Nero along with wfflash ect and then I'll be booted into E:\ my CD ROM drive???

The Windows XP repair console will allow you command line access to your system - just need the Admin password.

Not sure what is available on the Windows/DOS side of things but there are plenty Linux bootable CDs out there like Knoppix, Overclockix etc

You can make a CD which will have a small DOS floppy image on it which then boots to DOS and can access your CD via mscdex yes. E.g. the Windows98 CD did exactly that. Probably even later win95 CDs. Almost any burn program can make bootable CDs like that. Nero certainly can for example.

Ok great, so please explain how to make a DOS boot cd with Nero and no floppy drive??

Step1: go to www.bootdisk.com and download a suitable bootdisk image from there.
step2: tell Nero to use said image when creating the CD. (you can choose between reading the bo0tdisk part from an actual drive or just using an image)

PS: InCD will not work. InCD is packetwriting, you need a normal burning app instead.

I made my first boot CD:D

I did it in Nero and used the default Nero img instead of the floppy. I have tried this before and couldn't get it to work with Nero, very strange.
Anyway it now does loads of crazy loading stuff and then i'm at my virtual A: dos prompt - can access all drives, excellent feature from Nero :attn:

Back