• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help deleting directory (windows and not virus problem)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rayik

I have a directory on my hdd that I can not delete. That directory is empty (all files in it were deleted ok). When I try to delete the directory this message appears:

Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk.

Any suggestions on how to delete the directory. (I've tried turning off explorer and deleting from a command prompt within windows - but didn't work.)

Thanks for the help.

have you tried restarting and then checking if it is gone. That happens to me on my comp, because its slow as hell, and after a few seconds to a minute it disappears. What folder is it, what is it from, and is the version of windows correct as it is in your profile?

If you go into its parent folder and press F5 or select view>refresh from the menu, you will likely find that the folder is already gone, and that is why it cannot read from the source. ;)

Restarting would likely do the trick also.

you might also try a scandisk. Maybe the folder is located on a bad part of the disk and thats why it can't be deleted. Scandisk should at least flag it as bad.

It's a win 2k sp4 machine (and not the one in my sig).

All of your suggestions did not work. Refreshing the folder didn't work. Restarting the machine did not work. Scandisk ran (outside of windows) and showed no errors. Even going into safe mode and trying to delete did not work (and I didn't expect it to.)

Here's a picture with answers to questions:

picture.bmp

hmmm thats wierd. can you bring up the permissions on the file? just curious on that point. The only other thing that I can suggest is to download an image of EBCD (emergency boot cd) This will let you boot into linux and access the filesystem. You could probably delete it from there (if its NTFS) and if its fat32 maybe you can load the disk into another machine and try deleting it from there.

What about using the repair console? Will that let you nuke the file if you boot from your CD and go into the repair console.

thats a cool program IMOG. My friends work server was tagged by a download group and they could not get rid of the directories. I had to go there with EBCD and pop the directory. they had 32gig of movies and other downloads. this looks like it would have done the trick.

What type of media is the directory seemfully located on?

Check permissions.

Have you tried removing the directory from the command line?

Thanks IMOG. Delete FXP files worked just fine.

I don't think it was anything malicious. I created the folder myself. I put files in it. I could delete the files from the folder. Just couldn't delete the directory.

I could not check permissions for that folder. There was no tab for security for that folder. Only tabs were for "general" and "sharing."

I've had this happen before on this machine. All other times I've opened a command prompt, shut down explorer.exe and then deleted from the command prompt.

I'll watch this hdd to see if it's going bad.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

Back